Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Balance Transfers

tag
ambivalent
Established Contributor

Question on Balance Transfers

Hello all!

I have a question on doing a balance transfer prior to filing BK. If you transfer a balance from one CC to another, but reaffirm the debt on the card the balance was transferred to, is that allowable?  Thank you!

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Question on Balance Transfers

@ambivalent wrote:

Hello all!

I have a question on doing a balance transfer prior to filing BK. If you transfer a balance from one CC to another, but reaffirm the debt on the card the balance was transferred to, is that allowable?  Thank you!

As far as I know you can't reaffirm one credit card, you have to list all credit cards.

Reaffirming is only on mortgages car loans not credit cards .

EXP 780 EQ 796 TU 810
Message 2 of 5
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

Your priorities are all messed up. You should be using bankruptcy to get out of debt AND stay out of debt, not putting yourself into unsecured debt on day 1.  If you don't learn to live on cash after BK Dave Ramsey style, you can get into trouble very fast and you cannot get another discharge for 8 years because you were trying an overly aggressive rebuild or trying to live on credit. Many people mess up their fresh start by reaffirming SECURED debt when they should be surrendering the collateral (car or home) to the bank rather than staying inside of a zero or negative equity mortgage or auto loan. And you want to reaffirm pre-petiton UNSECURED debt from another credit card?

Besides, no judge or lawyer will sign off on reaffirming debt if it is not in your best interest. You will need both of them to agree. 

Message 3 of 5
ambivalent
Established Contributor

Sory, I hopped out quick.  Here is more information

The reaffirmed CC would be with a CU as there is cross collateralization and the car would likely be kept as it is newer and a low interest rate. The balance on the CC is low.  This is all with DCU, if that helps. The BT amount would be about $1,500. The total balance would probably be able to be paid off shortly after discharge.  

This isn't my particular situation (though I will probably be filing bk soon as well, unfortunately!); I thought this forum might be the best place for information :-) 

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 4 of 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Affirming cc debt would be silly.

Better off doing balance transfer then filing 3-6 months later.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.