Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score limit with BK reporting

tag
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Score limit with BK reporting

So I’m assuming that there’s a cap to the maximum score that can be attained with a BK on your file. Does anyone know what this magical, mythical, albeit theoretical number might be?

I’m fresh out of the gates on the bankruptcy just looking to rebuild and get a mortgage in a couple of years. I have a great income, own all of my vehicles and thanks to bankruptcy don’t have any credit card debt, so I have no *need* for credit other than an eventual home purchase.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score limit with BK reporting

I've never heard of a set maximum but it's going to depend on your existing file, the thickness, age of BK, etc. So many factors. I was on this site a few years ago and many people post BK got in mid 700s only a few years later
Message 2 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I think 750 is very possible which should be good enough for about any normal credit request without BK blacklist.

I stay over 700 in Fico 8s with multiple inquiries, new accounts, and 20% or under ultization (0% promos)

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 9
Harriet
New Contributor

From what I’ve seen here the cap would be 750. I’d be thrilled with that number.

My main concern and goal is a new mortgage. Conventional financing after bankruptcy Is a 4 year wait. 20% for a down payment, hopefully a mid 700 score, I’d love to get a great rate. Seems doable if I work at it.
Message 4 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

740's is usually the max. I did touch 751 for a few weeks. Year 2 post DC was 720's. As 4 yrs came on been sitting at 740's since last July. Many factors go into it.Especially oldest account and higher AAoA does a lot.

Message 5 of 9
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

This is promising, do you have a thread anywhere that covers your process to getting where you are today?

Message 6 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Bankrupt2019 wrote:
This is promising, do you have a thread anywhere that covers your process to getting where you are today?

Not really. I was a reader and didn't post much. I took in all that I could and applied it to my rebuild. Every move I made was researched on here so I could be successful and do it right. Now you cant shut me up. I pass it forward now since I've been there done that and enjoy helping others do the same. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

I was never able to pass the 760 mark and tend to hover in the 750's 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 9
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

So 750 to 760 is the ceiling for us BKer's. I was wondering this too. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.