Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target - Approved 2.5 years post chapter 7 discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target - Approved 2.5 years post chapter 7 discharge

Approved for the store card exactly 2.5 years post chapter 7 discharge.  Was a hard pull on Equifax.

Macy's also let me back in (same timeframe), I had a separate post on this approval.

I did burn Target in my chapter 7 for about $300

I was really surprised they let me back in so soon, same $300 credit limit.  Very happy they let me back in.  

Hope this is helpful to anyone in a similar situation.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Target - Approved 2.5 years post chapter 7 discharge

@Anonymous wrote:

Approved for the store card exactly 2.5 years post chapter 7 discharge.  Was a hard pull on Equifax.

Macy's also let me back in (same timeframe), I had a separate post on this approval.

I was really surprised they let me back in so soon, same $300 credit limit.  Very happy they let me back in.  

Congrats on your approval & RebuildSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! I burned so many wonderful stores/accounts in chapter 7 and  I still feel bad over it. I'm going on 2 years post BK and always wonder if they will ever let me back in at some point. ALTHOUGH, I would like to add I learned my lesson and no longer see the "need" for having so many cards, but still. Worst part was that I was making every single payment on time for all accounts, I just no longer had any $ left over to actually "live off" once all bills were paid. It was either pay bills on time and make no progress with minimum payments and STARVE, or file BK and basically start all over. Don't regret filing, but I regret getting to the point where I even needed to file. I wonder if they let you back in because the amount you burned them over was so low? I think I owed about $2k.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

that could be, the dollar amount may have a lot to do with it. I have to tell you, so far the only bank I think I’m truly blacklisted with is Barclays, I burned them for $1000.00, I tried reapplying for a card since my scores are good, but was an automatic denial with no credit check. I don’t think Barclays is as forgiving as other banks
Message 4 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats!

Message 5 of 8
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

I burned Target for ~2500 and 10 (almost 11) mos post-discharge (ch7) they took me back with a 2k limit (hard pull/equifax).  Very shocked, but not complaining!

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about Macy’s? They let me back in too, retail seems to be easier to get back then the regular banks v,mc,d, Amex
Message 7 of 8
kerinmiami
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! I burned so many wonderful stores/accounts in chapter 7 and  I still feel bad over it. I'm going on 2 years post BK and always wonder if they will ever let me back in at some point. ALTHOUGH, I would like to add I learned my lesson and no longer see the "need" for having so many cards, but still. Worst part was that I was making every single payment on time for all accounts, I just no longer had any $ left over to actually "live off" once all bills were paid. It was either pay bills on time and make no progress with minimum payments and STARVE, or file BK and basically start all over. Don't regret filing, but I regret getting to the point where I even needed to file. I wonder if they let you back in because the amount you burned them over was so low? I think I owed about $2k.

WOW! You're story is just like mine. I always paid every bill on time, but nothing left over. So much goes to interest. Yeap, no progress with the min pay at all. I can't cherry pick the Creditors, and yes Target is one that I will have to burn. But, remember it is the card issuer. For example, I will have to burn Wal-Mart, it is under Synchrony bank; however, Cap 1 come Oct will be the bank of the card. But, I have been told the big timers - Amex, Citi, BOA, Chase you can forget them for years to come with the burn and BK. And, yes, I had to burn all of them and then some. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.