Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do next.

tag
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

What should I do next.

So I know that rebuilding is a marathon, not a race, and that in the grand scheme of things, I am fresh out of bk.

I was discharged in May. My Scores from the experian app, show 581-593 Currently.

Currently I have a One Main Loan for $1575 with 36% APR, I have $1000 of that left in cash, that I do not plan on using for credit repair as that is now my emergency fund. I know it has high APR, so paying it down is the best thing for interest, and I plan on paying it half way down after it reports.

I also have a First Premier CC, with a $30 balance of $400 Limit. Its basically been sock drawered, but I still plan on dusting it off once a month and put a tank of gas or something trivial on it so it keeps reporting. 

I also have a Nrewards card with a $300 Limit on it. It hasn't reported yet, and I believe it will take a couple of months. This is my daily driver, because of the cash back on it. I have been paying it off weekly, and I try and keep it under a $200 Balance, and I will not let it report with a high balance, I just have to figure out its reporting date.

My question really is where do I go from here. I would like to follow the 4 revolver / 1 Installment. I am wanting to snag 3 cards in the next year. I am okay with a Secured card, as long as it doesn't have an annual fee, I still don't quite trust myself with credit so if it doesn't unsecure, I am okay with it. 

After my Nrewards Unsecures, I plan on moving one of my Direct Deposits to a local Credit union and start building a relation with them. That should fill one of my 3 cards. Any other suggestions? 

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: What should I do next.

It really depends on who got burned. You really only need 3 revolvers and 1 loan for the FICO bonus per say. List who got burned and this will help where to turn to. I see you said you just got 1 new account. Spread them out at least 4-6 months with apps. Dont rush it. So list the creditors who got the ax and we can go from there.

Message 2 of 14
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

I burned

*Discover

*Capital One

*USAA

*Synchrony

*Celtic Bank

*Bank of Missouri

*Klarna

And a local credit union

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 3 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@kr43002 wrote:

I burned

*Discover

*Capital One

*USAA

*Synchrony

*Celtic Bank

*Bank of Missouri

*Klarna

And a local credit union

For unsecured, I'd look at CapitalOne (yes, I understand you burned them, but they are well known for being forgiving), and PenFed.  If you're looking at secured cards, I've heard good things about FNBO's card.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 4 of 14
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

@Horseshoez I will look at FNBO, Capital One is still not interested in me yet, but I am sure time will change that. Thank you.

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Message 5 of 14
SB_F
Contributor

I am a firm believer in the $1000 emergency fund with no exceptions ... except in your case.

Join a credit union and open an installment loan for $1000. Take that $1000 and pay it against the 36% loan. Then rebuild your emergency fund as quickly as possible. The cash back you are chasing will likely never overcome what you are paying that account in interest. Plus paying it down will reduce your utilization dramatically. THAT will help boost your score. If you do have an emergency, charge as little as possible to resolve the problem. You need that money you are paying for 36% interest to go to your benefit, not theirs.

And no matter what, make all of your payments on time.

BK13 filed 11/2013 discharged 6/2019
Oct 2019 EQ 672 TU 643 EX 663
Julu 2021 EQ 840 TU 828 EX 819
Message 6 of 14
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

@SB_F I don't plan on carrying a balance above $20 on that card. My second job has me driving, and I get gas reimbursement once a week, so that $200 maximum is 80% gas. not really chasing rewards, just making use of them. if you pay in full your not paying any interest, and I pay my balance weekly so there isnt any interest charge. the account hasn't even posted. my current util shows 0% on the experian app.

I would use that grand but I am okay with paying that interest as It will be paid off before decemeber, meaning im paying less than $200 for this kind of stability. I am have done the math behind it and I am okay with this. If I were planning on just making minimum payments, I would definitely use the emergency fund for the loan. 

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Message 7 of 14
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

@SB_F wrote:Join a credit union and open an installment loan for $1000. Take that $1000 and pay it against the 36% loan. 

I was denied membership to a credit union last week citing recent bk and credit score to low. They want to see atleast 620, the only other one near me wants to charge me $25/month to have an account with them. I dont qualify for their free checking because of my bankruptcy aswell. im just stuck with nfcu for now, which is honestly a ok

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Message 8 of 14
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Kr43002,

Actually you are in a decent place since you're bankruptcy discharged in May. I would let your current cards age and when your CR reports 6 months of positive payment history, try Capital One and Discover Card for preapprovals. I would continue to build your emergency funds. 

Try to get that loan with One Main paid off as soon as possible because that is a lot of interest to pay.  If you can, try to make 2 payments a month.  The first should be your monthly minimum payment and the second payment should go only toward the principle.  

With Navy Federal, do what you can to build your relationship with them. They like seeing their card and accounts being utilized. I would open an easy start CD and just add $10 a month or whatever you feel comfortable with.  With your credit card, try to limit your payments to 2 payments every billing cycle.  When your statement cuts, go on and make the minimum payment and then on your payment due date, pay it down to whatever you want.  NFCU has a history of graduating secured cards anywhere from 6 months to 18 months from the date the account was open. The day you secured card graduates, I would check for a preapproval for another card and apply for it. If you have a checking account with them, I would also use the debit card as much as possible.  

Just keep doing what you're doing. You will bounce back sooner than you think. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 9 of 14
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

After browsing Youtube i found you can have multiple secured cards opened with NFCU. would it be wise to open a second card with them? 

Side note I just looked into their easy cd's and I am definitely going to open a Special Easy CD with their 3% APR for 12 months, thank you for showing me that wonderful gem

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.