Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happens when near ch 13 discharge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what happens when near ch 13 discharge?

Just curious...do we submit our recent pay stubs, tax returns, credit report? What does the attorney request once we're...let's say 1-2 payments left on our payment plan? Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: what happens when near ch 13 discharge?

I did not hear anything from the attorney. Got a letter once I made the last payment from the trustee that my payments were complete and pending discharge. Then the discharge a week or so after the last payment was made.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you!

Message 3 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I had to sign some paperwork saying I paid everything and something about child support. But I don't pay child support so I don't remember what it was about.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I had to sign something about child support too. Since I don't have kids I didn't pay much attention to it.

Your trustee will go through your file and ensure that everything is in order. In my case, I had to submit tax returns for the 5 years, and they never asked for them until the end. So I had to provide them when they finally realized that.

The trustee took care of everything else. My wages had been garnished for the 5 years plus a few extra weeks during final processing. They contacted my employer and stopped the garnishment, and then reimbursed me for the overpay.

After that,  I just waited until I got the official paperwork showing the discharge (which comes from a federal office, not your trustee). It took 5 months for me to receive that, but others have gotten theirs within a week.

Once you get that, and PACER updates to show the discharge, you're done. Then it's a matter of rebuilding credit and moving forward.

As a point of reference... I filed in Sept 2011. The payments started in June 2012. My final payment was June 2017. I received the official discharge notice in October 2017. Through diligent credit rebuilding, my scores went from about 520 midway through the 5 years, to 570 at discharge. And now hover around 770-800 less than a year later. I just bought a condo last week and bumped my total credit limits from $34k to $53k this week.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I knew I was getitng close and next thing you I know I am getting a letter in the mail saying sign this if you completed all the payments and then it was discharged.

Message 6 of 9
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Like others have said, it was a seamless process.  I received a letter in the mail from my attorney about 60 days out.  Had to sign something about the child support but don't have kids so like others I just signed and sent it back.

I asked my attorney if it would be okay to double up my second to last payment to move things along a little faster and she said that it was okay.  Did so and it really did help.  Within 3 weeks of my final (doubled) payment I received a letter from the trustee and my discharge papers actually came really fast.  I know some say it has been many weeks or even months for them, my entire deal was said and done within 3 weeks of my final payment.  

I didn't wait for the court to send info to the credit reporting agencies.  The day I had my discharge papers in hand I disputed my bankrupcy as being discharged and within a couple of weeks of doing so each bureau was updated accordingly.  

The closing process of that LONG 5 year journey was fairly simple.  

Message 7 of 9
WD2005
Contributor

What did getting the discharge added to your CR do for your scores?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I remember correctly nothing changed just go a notification that it was discharged.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.