Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX "Business Name on Card"

tag
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

AMEX "Business Name on Card"

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 8.43.45 AM.png

I am now less than a month from pulling the trigger on my first (and likely only) biz card which will be the BBC. I have a registered EIN with the IRS that also has my business name attached to it, however it is just a simple sole prop. I will be applying for the BBC as a sole prop but wanted specific clarification on what I am allowed to put for the name. The picture above is how I would prefer to fill out the application. I understand that my 'legal business name' is my own name as a sole prop, and that I would check that I do not have a registered DBA. What is confusing is the 'business name on card' field, as this appears as though it is for cosmetic purposes only. I have read multiple answers: 1) That you may put the name of your business in that field, regardless of if it is sole prop, llc, corp, ect. 2) If it is sole prop, that it requires your own name and that you must have your own name appear twice on the card. 3) You should apply with your own name, and then call AMEX after the fact to have your business name changed on the card to whatever you would like, and that they'll process the change for you and issue you the new card. When you click on the info button on the application, it only says "must not contain more than 20 characters" so that's not very helpful. While I would like the name of my actual business on the card, I want to ensure I am applying with accurate information as to what they are wanting in the application. Hit me with some good advice here, folks! 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX "Business Name on Card"

Typically you would only use an EIN on the application if it is a partnership or corporation.  The DBA would be if for instance you had an S Corp with a partner named Problems Brothers, Inc. but your retail establishment was called Brothers Hardware Store.  My understanding is that for a SP, you should always use your name - but I'm not 100% certain on that if you have gone as far as actually getting a Federal EIN.

Message 2 of 11
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Typically you would only use an EIN on the application if it is a partnership or corporation.  The DBA would be if for instance you had an S Corp with a partner named Problems Brothers, Inc. but your retail establishment was called Brothers Hardware Store.  My understanding is that for a SP, you should always use your name - but I'm not 100% certain on that if you have gone as far as actually getting a Federal EIN.

Thank you for the reply, KIB! I think on this one I am going to take the advice I keep giving other people: "Well did you call them and ask?" Smiley LOL I'll report back if I speak to a CSR and let the group know what they say. 

TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 11
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Ficoproblems247  Put a call in to Amex and ask to speak with business New Accts. Team. See how they can help you with that.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 11
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Thank you for the reply, KIB! I think on this one I am going to take the advice I keep giving other people: "Well did you call them and ask?" Smiley LOL I'll report back if I speak to a CSR and let the group know what they say. 

LOL, duhhhhhhh.... I was typing this as you were posting this Smiley WinkSmiley EmbarassedSmiley Tongue

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have it right.  Your name in legal and business name as you want it on card.

No your legal name does not have to appear twice.

Go get it!

Message 6 of 11
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

UPDATE: I called and spoke to a friendly CSR in the business app department. She seemed knowledgeable enough, and without hesitation answered that regardless of business structure, the "business name on card" should be your business name as you'd like it to appear, and the "legal business name" field needs to be your own name when applying as a sole proprietor. Thank you guys for the replies and as always, your wise advice. I plan to app on 6/1 and will let you all know the outcome. Smiley Happy

TCL $199,800
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that you need any......Good Luck!

Message 8 of 11
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

You can put any name you want there.  Our business name is long and gets truncated so we shorten it on cards, including AMEX.  You could put "Factory XYZ" or "Joes Garage" there and it wouldn't matter.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 9 of 11
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not that you need any......Good Luck!

Thank you!!! I'm not so much worried about the approval, but I have over 50% of my income as exposure with them already, so I am mentally preparing myself for them to "rob Peter to pay Paul." Hopefully it doesn't happen, but I really don't NEED a 25k card to use at the grocery store, so it is what it is. Smiley LOL

TCL $199,800
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.