cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Can't Combine, likelihood of closure?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Can't Combine, likelihood of closure?

I've had a Capital One Spark Classic 1% Cash Back with a SL of $500 for almost a year and a half now, and I was never able to CLI up until about 3 months ago, they gave me $100 CLI making it $600. I waited an additional 3 months to today after my statement closed to try and CLI again and was denied with the standard we'll email you message.

It was a little frustrating so I decided to try my luck on apping for the 1.5% cash back select card. While I was instantly denied, they offered me a $1k SL of the exact same Spark classic I have. I really do need more room for my business so I took it, and I was hoping I could just combine the two since they are literally the exact same card. The Cap1 rep told me that they are unable to do that no matter who I talk to, which is really just so odd lol.

I don't want to have to juggle two different cards for one business... I'm tempted to just give up the additional $600 and put the lower limit one away in a drawer, but will they close me for inactivity? I'd prefer not to lose that extra $600 for UTI and average age.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Can't Combine, likelihood of closure?

Throw a charge on it every 6 months and it will be fine. 

Message 2 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm tempted to just give up the additional $600 and put the lower limit one away in a drawer, but will they close me for inactivity? I'd prefer not to lose that extra $600 for UTI and average age.

Just put a small charge on it every 6 months.

If you close it, your average age would not be hurt as it will report for up to 10 years.

But closing it, you would lose the $600 utilization.

Have to tried to the pre-qualify site  American Express? (I am not sure if any of those cards would work for you?)

Also if your Discover is one year old?, you might pre-qualify for a 2nd card from them.

All JMHO ..

ETA: On second thought ..Your Ex score might be a little low for American Express.

Message 3 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Throw a charge on it every 6 months and it will be fine. 

I was typing as you posted ..LOL (yes I type slow at times)

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do try a pre-qual for Amex every couple of months. Still not where I need to be for them. My DiscoverIt was secured and just graduated last month with a $800 CLI. Every time I check their prequalify page I get the "age of current discover account too new" message so I figured that would probably happen with the business one as well. It's only been open for about 8 months not even a year yet.

Message 5 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do try a pre-qual for Amex every couple of months. Still not where I need to be for them. My DiscoverIt was secured and just graduated last month with a $800 CLI. Every time I check their prequalify page I get the "age of current discover account too new" message so I figured that would probably happen with the business one as well. It's only been open for about 8 months not even a year yet.

IIRC For AmEx core cards, you'll need minimum score of Experian 670.

Message 6 of 19
therealpeel

@Anonymous wrote:

You have to wait 365/12 before applying for your second Discover it; however, you might be able to upgrade your Discover it Chrome before your second year. Someone on this forum did that recently.

Message 7 of 19
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Yes, unfortunately Capital one doesn't allow card combos. Also, you have to wait 6 months after a successful CLI with them. Are you putting heavy spend with them? You'll have to PIF several times per statement, but it might push them to give you the increase you're looking for. 

Message 8 of 19
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@therealpeel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You have to wait 365/12 before applying for your second Discover it; however, you might be able to upgrade your Discover it Chrome before your second year. Someone on this forum did that recently.

You can PC to any of the discover cards, even while it is still secured after your first statement.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having 2 cards: is your concern having 2 billing cycles and remembering to pay 2 accounts? What if you can change the statement closing date on the other card so that they are the same date? That way you have $1,600 of CL,  except you have to make 2 payments, but you pay them together.  

Just a thought. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.