cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how many times bank of america will retry processing credit card payments

tag
ThriftySaver
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know how many times bank of america will retry processing credit card payments

I made a credit card payment for my bank of america business credit card using the wrong account number and my bank rejected it twice due to insufficient funds, I just added cash to the bank today, will bank of america try ach withdraw a third time or keep trying until the money is paid

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does anyone know how many times bank of america will retry processing credit card payments

I doubt they'll attempt it a third time. Of course, calling customer service or writing them through online banking will be the best way to find out. I'd also advise them it was a mistake and try to get the fee reversed. 

Message 2 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone know how many times bank of america will retry processing credit card payments

@ThriftySaver wrote:

I made a credit card payment for my bank of america business credit card using the wrong account number and my bank rejected it twice due to insufficient funds, I just added cash to the bank today, will bank of america try ach withdraw a third time or keep trying until the money is paid

I'm confused! If you used the wrong account number, what does adding cash to your account have to do with anything? Wouldn't correcting the account number be the appropriate action? EDIT: I just realized you may mean you added money to the account that bounced; I THOUGHT you meant you'd given an incorrect number, as in a typo, not that you accidentally used the wrong account, i.e., one with insufficient funds.

At any rate, I would give BofA a call and tell them you used the wrong account number, hence the payments were rejected, here's the correct account number, please pull it again, and see what they say.

Although I've been with BofA for 31 years, I have no experience with returned payments, so my advice is purely speculative. It sounds reasonable, so why not try?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Anyway, have you made a payment yet? You really do not have time to think if BoA will attempt to pull again, you have a bounced payment (twice) and this is how cards get closed.

Pay it right now and hope that takes care of it. I can tell you right now that any future bounced payment issues will not end well.

Hopefully you paid it yesterday. 

Message 4 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ThriftySaver wrote:

So, what was the outcome on this, @ThriftySaver?

Message 5 of 7
Thermionic_E
Regular Contributor

I believe the op had multiple accounts in their payment options and the one they used didn't have funds, perhaps an alternative account they used to use, as I have done this before, but I caught it before the return payment and just balanced the account before the return. I don't know how common the 2 retry payment return automation is, but it has been my experience when I did get them. My PayPal credit card from synchrony closed my account after one return payment after raising my sl to 7 or 10k. That wasn't fun. If I have learned anything it is to figure out how to push and not play games that rely on your daily monitoring, as you will forget. They won't. 

edit: and remove all inactive or rarely used accounts from your payment options or you will eventually have a moment of negligence and it will lead to this. 

Message 6 of 7
ThriftySaver
Regular Contributor

They only retry twice. Eventually I had to put the charge thru again but I didn't get any fees. I paid before my due date

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.