Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How likely are chase ink invitations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How likely are chase ink invitations

I have been struggling the last several months.  Mom got cancer and passed Jan 11th this year but the last 6 months I've been by her side fighting it.  As a result I have barely made ends meet.  Luckily my work has kept me employed and let me work when I could but I had very very little income.  As a result I put a lot of money on Credit cards and am just about maxed.  Was just getting my credit right before all this happened and had just bumped over the 740 mark but am now at the 650 range.  When I started putting money on my cards my score started dropping and had gotten an invitation offer but ignored it since I just assumed that they sent it before my score started dropping and if I actually applied I'd be denied.  This was back in sept of last year.  Today I just got another offer.  So I'm curious should I even attempt it or leave it.  It does have a 100,000 point offer with it.  I just went back to work full time but haven't even gotten a check yet.  It will take me about 2 months to pay off all my cards and get back on track.

what do you guys think.  I want to get more cards and would like the points but don't want to be denied and hurt myself even more then I am at now.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How likely are chase ink invitations

Also I started my company just before mom got sick and only have a few thousand of income for the company but the company has technically been open a bit over 2 years.

Message 2 of 10
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Chase like any other big bank sends out marketing offers.

How is your total # inquiries?

Chase Ink cards follow the 5/24 rule.

If you have a 650 score then I'd wait.

When I apped for Ink Cash with a EX 750 score, under 4/24, I was denied.

But then Chase doesn't like me - like the Houston doctor who was denied and brought a racial lawsuit....

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm at 4 inquiries but yeah my score is low right now. That's really my main concern. Just thought it was odd they keep sending me invitations. 

Message 4 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned upthread, the invitations are simply marketing, not indicative of any odds of approval. The only pre-qualified or pre-approved offers would be either online (black stars with a set APR) or through the branch if your Chase business profile displays a business card pre-approved offer.

Otherwise, I would wait until your scores are a lot higher and make sure that you haven't opened more than 5 personal revolving accounts in the past 24 months.

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been struggling the last several months.  Mom got cancer and passed Jan 11th this year but the last 6 months I've been by her side fighting it.  As a result I have barely made ends meet.  Luckily my work has kept me employed and let me work when I could but I had very very little income.  As a result I put a lot of money on Credit cards and am just about maxed.  Was just getting my credit right before all this happened and had just bumped over the 740 mark but am now at the 650 range.  When I started putting money on my cards my score started dropping and had gotten an invitation offer but ignored it since I just assumed that they sent it before my score started dropping and if I actually applied I'd be denied.  This was back in sept of last year.  Today I just got another offer.  So I'm curious should I even attempt it or leave it.  It does have a 100,000 point offer with it.  I just went back to work full time but haven't even gotten a check yet.  It will take me about 2 months to pay off all my cards and get back on track.

what do you guys think.  I want to get more cards and would like the points but don't want to be denied and hurt myself even more then I am at now.

Are you talking about preapprovals? If so, Chase preapprovals are meaningful, but unless your scores have gone up significantly from when they were at rock bottom, you're probably wasting a couple of hard pulls to apply.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it appears they were legitimate offers. 

Got approved for $14k ink preferred card. 

My score also bumped back above 700 after paying off my cards so that may have helped. 

Message 7 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "offer", i.e. whether it says "preapproved" or not. If not, I'd shred it.

If on the other hand it's a preapproval, then....   If your scores have gone down during the last couple of months I'd leave it alone. If they've gone up during the last couple of months, I'd jump on it.

I didn't realize this was a thread from 2 months ago Smiley Happy My above answers are mooted by your successful application!

Message 8 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well it appears they were legitimate offers. 

Got approved for $14k ink preferred card. 

My score also bumped back above 700 after paying off my cards so that may have helped. 

Congratulations! Great card.  A Chase Ink card is the one card on my wish list.  I have an application that's been pending for 8 days so far.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Redman333

Grat's on the approval! Smiley Happy

Your strategy for cards payoff with the related score improvement surely turned the tide! It seems from my observations that Chase Business Cards can be a challenge for approval? Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.