Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 3x CLI Limit before POI?

tag
Eyepinpools
Regular Contributor

AMEX 3x CLI Limit before POI?

I remember reading in the past that once you cross the 35k CL they hit you with POI unless you request in 5k increments. Have I missed any revelations on this topic? 

Here's my situation. Card opened with 6k SL. Went from 6 to 18k at the 61 day mark.  I'm approaching the 6mo. mark from that increase here in a few days. I would love to take this card as high as possible without triggering a POI request. 

Does it still work to request high and back out if they request to approve the increase? Is there a definitive CL that will or will not trigger the request? Can I request 45k Limit and back out and keep reducing until it's accepted? 

pleeaasseee help 😃. Thanks all

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX 3x CLI Limit before POI?

IV requests are very profile-dependent. In the past, some profiles were prone to an IV request once a specific CL threshold was reached, which is where the commonly seen $25K-$35K speculative range came about. But, that's not seen as much these days. Depending on the requested amount, they will either approve it, counter if you ask too high, request to link bank accounts, IV or decline the request. My suggestion, ask for an amount that would meet your needs, as no one here can guarantee whether your request could trigger an IV request.

IIRC, ever since the CLI request menu option was 'hidden', the "back out and keep reducing" tactic doesn't appear to work as much.

Message 2 of 3
Eyepinpools
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX 3x CLI Limit before POI?

@FinStar wrote:

IV requests are very profile-dependent. In the past, some profiles were prone to an IV request once a specific CL threshold was reached, which is where the commonly seen $25K-$35K speculative range came about. But, that's not seen as much these days. Depending on the requested amount, they will either approve it, counter if you ask too high, request to link bank accounts, IV or decline the request. My suggestion, ask for an amount that would meet your needs, as no one here can guarantee whether your request could trigger an IV request.

IIRC, ever since the CLI request menu option was 'hidden', the "back out and keep reducing" tactic doesn't appear to work as much.

Thank you FinStar. You are the never ending source of credit card knowledge. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.