Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE vs. HHonors Surpass.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX BCE vs. HHonors Surpass.

Hopefully some people who gave me great tips yesterday or everyone else can help me out here.

Out of the two cards I mentioned in the subject, which one's easier to get? I want to app HHonors Surpass, but since I was pre-approved for BCE, I thought that if I got BCE first, as I might have a better chance to get approved, my chances of getting HHonors Surpass could potentially rise?

My Experian is 700 Fico 8.

Income: $150,000. 

I'm going on a honeymoon in December and by chance, we're actually staying at Hilton in Sapporo and Tokyo. Normally, I would've just waited for a couple of months to bring the score up a little bit more to have a better chance but with travel arrangements and the bonus ending in 10/4, it's become quite urgent...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE vs. HHonors Surpass.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hopefully some people who gave me great tips yesterday or everyone else can help me out here.

Out of the two cards I mentioned in the subject, which one's easier to get? I want to app HHonors Surpass, but since I was pre-approved for BCE, I thought that if I got BCE first, as I might have a better chance to get approved, my chances of getting HHonors Surpass could potentially rise?

My Experian is 700 Fico 8.

Income: $150,000. 

I'm going on a honeymoon in December and by chance, we're actually staying at Hilton in Sapporo and Tokyo. Normally, I would've just waited for a couple of months to bring the score up a little bit more to have a better chance but with travel arrangements and the bonus ending in 10/4, it's become quite urgent...

Depends if you want cash back or points for redemption.  I have the BCP and the Surpass, use both for different reasons.  Been using the Surpass to drive up points (their points program is superoir, when compared to, say, the Marriott card).  if you're planing on using it for your trip, pull the trigger!  I've redeemed four nights this year, so I'm building back up my point totals.  Love Embassy Suites!  If you travel often, I feel the points are certainly equal to the cash back.

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here, Surpass is awesome.  Wife is racking up points now, we used some points for a 3 night in Sevilla and i used my points for a 3 night in Madid.

Message 3 of 7
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

I have both the Hilton Surpass AMEX and the BCP cards.

Of the two, I got the Hilton Surpass card first, with a lower FICO score at the time. I use that card ONLY for Hilton stays and purchases. It doesn't make much sense to use the card for anything else, since you can get other cards that will give you far more for everyday spending. But if you stay at Hiltons frequently enough, the Surpass card can really help you rack up the Hilton HHonors points fast!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have the BCP and Surpass.

If you stay at a lot of Hilton properties those points rack up fast. 

I value Surpass points at 6 cents per dollar for Hilton stays and 3 cents per dollar for groceries and gas. Based of these numbers I've actually been thinking of getting rid of my BCP. When I run the numbers comparing the two cards for the 6 K Grocery spend, the BCP only makes me an extra 95 bucks a year. 95 bucks is 95 bucks though so I'm still contemplating this. 

PS, based off your score only I think you have a good shot at either card. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved for both if you get approved for one amex lets you pull the trigger same day with the same report pull. 

I was a FICO EX of 664 at the time , with 24% utilization, 2 collections from 2 years ago, 5 lates from 2 years ago,AaoA is 2 yrs, 13 accounts, 1 auto loan, 1 personal loan and $52k a year and I was approved for both same day BCE $500 and Surpass for $1k, I know it was risky to apply but I'm happy I got both as I have alot of value from them, and I know the SL is a little low but AMEX cards can grow quickly and I'm happy to get in with Amex

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't testify to the BCE since I don't have it but the Hilton Surpass is a great card. Hopefully you will get it (or both).

Make sure you sign up for the Hilton promos too since right now they have double base points for all stays until 12/31. That combined with the 12 pts from the card really adds up. And 6 pts on groceries and gas too. My last trip netted me enough points for two free nights at the same hotel next time I go (about a $390 value). Also a bonus 500 points if you book the room thru the Hilton app.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.