Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI advice

I am hoping to ask for a CLI on my Bonvoy Card which started at $2K then to $6K. My last increase was on April 2, 2019. I'm a little scared to hit the button because I'm not sure what score they are using. On their website, my Exp is at follows:

5/27 - 690 (I let balance report as I'm going through my finals at school - no excuses)

6/24 - 715

7/4 - 715 

My scores are much higher on Transunion and EQ but I'm pretty sure they will use Exp. 

Some data points: I'm a Pre-Med Senior with an income of about $32K plus some assets ($30K). 
Total CL: $49,500 UTI - less than 1%. 
AAoA - 24 months 

Is it worth hitting the button now or should I wait until August? I don't think my Experian score will be any higher since all my inquiries are here (2/2019 and 2/2020). Wish they would use Equifax and Transunion because those scores at 785 and 751. 

If I do ask for a CLI, my income is a little low as a student so 3x might spook them. I did read that once I'm 21 I can list my total household income ($550K). Not sure if that matters. I sincerely apologize for the rambling & I hope my post makes sense. 

Thank you in advance for any advice & forgive my typos as I'm using my phone. 

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX CLI advice

I thought after the initial increase it was every 6 months ?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is but OP's last increase was April of 2019. I read it wrong at first too lol.

OP, I think you have nothing to lose by asking now. Pretty sure Amex will counter if they're not comfortable with another 3x increase.

On the household income, I think you misunderstand. Unless you're married to someone making $520k annually, that $550k figure isn't for you to claim. I'm assuming it's your parents' income here. Household income being claimed is intended as you and a spouse, you share bank accounts, you file together at tax time, and you have regular access to the joint income. Otherwise, use your income only. Using income you can prove with your own tax returns is how you're able to claim it. If Amex were ever to ask for verification via 4506-T form, it would be your tax returns pulled and if your income claim isn't proven by that return, you face closure of your accounts.

Message 3 of 31
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous 

Oh sorry thought is was 4/2020 my bad 🥺

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom 

Do think my score is good enough for  the CLI? Also with my income & $49K TL, will AMEX will be spooked if I were  to ask for $12K? 

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous it is my Dad's income & I'm so glad I asked before making that mistake. What you said makes so much sense! Do you think my income & score together are good enough for CLI? I'm afraid they will pull old scores & I don't know if I should wait until the end of the month. If denied, do I wait 180 days before I can ask again? 

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous it is my Dad's income & I'm so glad I asked before making that mistake. What you said makes so much sense! Do you think my income & score together are good enough for CLI? I'm afraid they will pull old scores & I don't know if I should wait until the end of the month. If denied, do I wait 180 days before I can ask again? 

See what score is showing in your account. If the score there has been there and updated for at least a couple weeks, that'll most likely be the one they use. Amex is known to be limit-friendly with thinner profiles than yours. I don't think you'll spook them. It may be that $18k is higher than they want to go, but they'll likely counteroffer if that's the case. I think you're good to ask. And Amex rules are such that if you're declined a CLI for credit-related reasons, you must wait 91 days before you're eligible to be considered again. I'd go for it - it's a soft pull so no harm done if it's a No.

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous! For the June & July, score is at 715. AMEX have extended me a total of $15,700 with 0 balance as I pay as I use. I'll give it a shot! 

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you're managing things well - let us know how it goes Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do @Anonymous! I will report tomorrow morning. Thanks again and have a great evening!

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.