Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI

Hello. My last CLI was about over a year ago on my Delta Blue ($3200-$6200). My income is $22K so I want sure that my request will support the income. I let my score dip in December when I paid my accounts in full prior to due date instead of statement date. I know that AMEX soft pull for CLI is not current. My Feb score accdg to their website is 691 and 706 as of March 20th. I had a 1% UTI (out of $15,500) in Feb and same for this month. When should I ask for a CLI to ensure that they have my highest score on file? I use my SPG a lot and it had a starting line of $2K. I’m afraid to ask for 3x as it might not support my income listed. Any advise for this newbie from all the AMEX experts? Thank you in advance and hope my post makes sense.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI

Request what you feel comfortable in, if you don't want to request 3x, then request what works out best for you. I think the pursuit of having the highest CL as possible can be overrated as if you buy 1 airline ticket a month, do you really need 10k line? So, with that in mind, request what you feel is reasonable. You can also maneuver around your CL if the other card is too low.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advise. I don’t really have much to spend $ on and at 22, I’m happy with a $5K limit. I’m just trying to grow my credit. Do you think I should wait to pull the trigger until the score hits at least 740 on their site? I don’t know if they will approve me at 710 (on their website) and I don’t even know if this is the score they will base their decision on. I heard they use old scores like Citibank which seems to always be 2 months behind. My AMEX BCE ($2800) and Delta ($6200) statements have yet to close on the 28th. The 1st will show a balance of 0 and the other currently has a balance of $1000 which I will pay off and maybe leave a $25.00 balance? As an aside, I looked into their Magnet card and tried to hit apply just to see and it says I’m pre-approved. I don’t want any more cards though because all my 3 Inquiries on Experian are falling off this September and my AAOA is just 1.5 yrs.
Message 3 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

What does your complete profile look like? If you can, list it below like this.
Card, TCL, UTI, open date.
Also - what are your current scores? If you can, do the $1 trial from CCT and get your current scores, make sure to cancel prior to the trail is over. If you are happy with your current limits, then I would hold off if you don't need it,

Also, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket (aka AmEx), if you don't have any other lenders, I would highly recommend adding other cards into the mix. Just having AmEx only is risky. You definitely need to add Visa/MC.

TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

As of March 19, my score is as follows:
Experian -706
Equifax -729
Transunion - 715

Amex BCE Jan 2018 SL $2800
Amex Clear Sept 2017 SL $1K
B of A Alaska Jan 2018 SL $500
Citi Preferred Sept 2017 SL $2000 $3K Feb 2018
Amex SPG Jan 2018 SL $2K
Amex Delta Sept 2017 SL $3100 $6200 Feb 2018

I need to make a correction. I’m 20, not 22. 22 is my listed salary and I’m currently a Pre-Med student.

I made 2 huge mistakes. 1st one is on my Alaska which is a card I hardly used. I forgot putting a charge of $19.99 which resulted in a 30 day late 6 months ago. 🥺

2nd one is in December. I have a total SL of $15,500. My parents told me to use most of it for our family travels, meals and gave me $ to pay for it which I did. But I spaced and paid it before due date instead of 3 days before my statement cut as I was told to do which resulted in myscore plummeting to a dismal 591.

On March 10th, I tried to do a CLI with Citibank which was denied citing a Jan 2019 score of 591 (on their website, my score was listed at 718/900 dated 2/19/19). Looks like they’re trailing behind. I think you are correct that I am AMEX heavy. I’m just scared to apply for any more cards because of my Curent AAOA.

I also tried a CLI with BofA and was denied but waiting for the letter to arrive but probably because my SL is so low and I was 30 days late on that $19.95.

Thanks again.
Message 5 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

As of this time, I would hold off on any CLIs for now. I would try to get the scores back up into a better range. On that late payment, one of the things I always advise is to setup auto-pay on every account. In situations like this, auto-pay would have saved you the late payment. For the future, I'd highly recommend setting it up and using it. You can always go in and make an additional payment prior to the due date, but have the auto-pay as a backup. Also, for that late, see if you can get a goodwill adjustment for it.

TCL - Est. $410K
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I will hold off on CLI’s. I’ll contact B of A and see what they say. I almost wish I never applied for this card but I needed 1 visa. My score was around 750 at the time and they gave me $500. Live and learn.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xaximus, update on my AMEX SPG. I hit the spending power as I’m not really sure how it worked and put in $3K and says approved. Then I woke up the next day to an auto CLI of $3K. Does this preclude me from asking for CLI in the next couple of months? As of this cycle, I only have 1credit card reporting a balance of $1.99 ($16,500 CL) and the rest are 0. Thanks in advance.
Message 8 of 12
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Auto CLI's do not stop or re-set the clock on customer genereated CLI requests, you can ask for one 181 days since your last approved one or 91 days after a denial.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello. My last CLI was about over a year ago on my Delta Blue ($3200-$6200). My income is $22K so I want sure that my request will support the income. I let my score dip in December when I paid my accounts in full prior to due date instead of statement date. I know that AMEX soft pull for CLI is not current. My Feb score accdg to their website is 691 and 706 as of March 20th. I had a 1% UTI (out of $15,500) in Feb and same for this month. When should I ask for a CLI to ensure that they have my highest score on file? I use my SPG a lot and it had a starting line of $2K. I’m afraid to ask for 3x as it might not support my income listed. Any advise for this newbie from all the AMEX experts? Thank you in advance and hope my post makes sense.

They will counter if they are not comfortable with a 3x.  Don't be nervous about asking for 3x, Amex will figure it out for you but you should aim high IMO.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.