cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum Blocked From Applying?

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Member

AMEX Platinum Blocked From Applying?

Hello all,

In may I was approved for my first AMEX card (BCE 20K starting limit). Soon after my income quadrupled so I went ahead and applied for platinum. Only reason for denial was "Not an AMEX customer for long enough." 

 

Since then I am not shown the Platinum card while logged in or even on any computer if it has cookies from me. If i manually navigate to the link I get a message that says "Sorry! This offer isn't available at this time" 

 

It's been months now that it's been saying this and it won't go away. It's preapproving me for green and showing me gold, but i cant even VIEW platinum. How long will this last? 

 

My score is about 738 at the moment with no baddies ever and a 2% utilization. Should I just apply anyway? Or does the fact that it's not even allowing me to view the page mean 100% denial?

 

Thanks all. If i clear my cookies and dont login i can see plat, and as soon as i login and it has my cookies again the card disappears. 

I chatted AMEX and they said I can call credit bureau line if i want but i called them and they said "this is for amex reporting to credit bureaus and has nothing to do with approvals." 

 

THIS is the message im getting: https://imgur.com/fzipK8q

 

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

 

(first platinum app didn't cause a hardpull)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum Blocked From Applying?

Have you tried using Chrome browser via incognito mode?

BK7 dc in 01/2011 with FICO8 in the 500s

HPs EX 4 EQ 3 TU 1
AAoA 5y2m
UTIL 1% - 3%

$180K+ Total Limits







New cc TLs 1/12(11 month old) & 3/24
Message 2 of 7
Member

Re: AMEX Platinum Blocked From Applying?

Yea,  can apply just fine. It's just that if I log in I cant see the card page.


@JR_TX wrote:

Have you tried using Chrome browser via incognito mode?


 

Message 3 of 7
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum Blocked From Applying?


@swing_shot wrote:

Hello all,

In may I was approved for my first AMEX card (BCE 20K starting limit). Soon after my income quadrupled so I went ahead and applied for platinum. Only reason for denial was "Not an AMEX customer for long enough." 

 

Since then I am not shown the Platinum card while logged in or even on any computer if it has cookies from me. If i manually navigate to the link I get a message that says "Sorry! This offer isn't available at this time" 

 

It's been months now that it's been saying this and it won't go away. It's preapproving me for green and showing me gold, but i cant even VIEW platinum. How long will this last? 

 

My score is about 738 at the moment with no baddies ever and a 2% utilization. Should I just apply anyway? Or does the fact that it's not even allowing me to view the page mean 100% denial?

 

Thanks all. If i clear my cookies and dont login i can see plat, and as soon as i login and it has my cookies again the card disappears. 

I chatted AMEX and they said I can call credit bureau line if i want but i called them and they said "this is for amex reporting to credit bureaus and has nothing to do with approvals." 

 

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

 

(first platinum app didn't cause a hardpull)


In an earlier thread you stated on 6/25/19  that you were denied the Amex Platinum card because "credit card balances too high."  Now you're claiming that the reason is because you haven't been an Amex customer long enough.  Both are actual reasons for denials by Amex but your statements are not consistent.

 

Regardless of the actual reason, Amex operates a dynamic website that will often block you from applying for cards for which, in their opinion, you don't qualify.  Typically when denied for a credit related reason like "credit card balances too high" you will have to wait 90 days before reapplying (and the card is shown on your account when logged in).  Since you were denied around 6/25, 90 days have not elapsed yet.





Message 4 of 7
Member

Re: AMEX Platinum Blocked From Applying?


@MaizeandBlue wrote:

@swing_shot wrote:

Hello all,

In may I was approved for my first AMEX card (BCE 20K starting limit). Soon after my income quadrupled so I went ahead and applied for platinum. Only reason for denial was "Not an AMEX customer for long enough." 

 

Since then I am not shown the Platinum card while logged in or even on any computer if it has cookies from me. If i manually navigate to the link I get a message that says "Sorry! This offer isn't available at this time" 

 

It's been months now that it's been saying this and it won't go away. It's preapproving me for green and showing me gold, but i cant even VIEW platinum. How long will this last? 

 

My score is about 738 at the moment with no baddies ever and a 2% utilization. Should I just apply anyway? Or does the fact that it's not even allowing me to view the page mean 100% denial?

 

Thanks all. If i clear my cookies and dont login i can see plat, and as soon as i login and it has my cookies again the card disappears. 

I chatted AMEX and they said I can call credit bureau line if i want but i called them and they said "this is for amex reporting to credit bureaus and has nothing to do with approvals." 

 

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

 

(first platinum app didn't cause a hardpull)


In an earlier thread you stated on 6/25/19  that you were denied the Amex Platinum card because "credit card balances too high."  Now you're claiming that the reason is because you haven't been an Amex customer long enough.  Both are actual reasons for denials by Amex but your statements are not consistent.

 

Regardless of the actual reason, Amex operates a dynamic website that will often block you from applying for cards for which, in their opinion, you don't qualify.  Typically when denied for a credit related reason like "credit card balances too high" you will have to wait 90 days before reapplying (and the card is shown on your account when logged in).  Since you were denied around 6/25, 90 days have not elapsed yet.


 

One of the listed reasons was "balances too high." However I had a 0 balance across every single account that I have on my date of application, the date of the report they pulled, as well as about 1 month before that date. I had absolutely 0 utilization and confirmed with experian. Amex was unable to tell me why it showed that on the denial. One of the reps told me they "legally have to list a reason that is related to FICO" and it may have just shown that randomly. There's no reason to try to call me out- I'm not lying.

 

Message 5 of 7
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum Blocked From Applying?


@swing_shot wrote:

One of the listed reasons was "balances too high." However I had a 0 balance across every single account that I have on my date of application, the date of the report they pulled, as well as about 1 month before that date. I had absolutely 0 utilization and confirmed with experian. Amex was unable to tell me why it showed that on the denial. One of the reps told me they "legally have to list a reason that is related to FICO" and it may have just shown that randomly. There's no reason to try to call me out- I'm not lying.

 



An adverse action notice for  a denial of credit lists up to four reasons for the denial.  I did not say you were lying...I'm simply going by what you said earlier...you cited just one reason when you could have easily stated all the actual reasons given.

 

If you're determined to apply you can always do so by phone but its doubtful that a customer service representative will be able to override the block on your ability to apply for the card.





Message 6 of 7
Member

Re: AMEX Platinum Blocked From Applying?

I have the same issue. I was preapproved for the gold card back in April and applied. I received the notice that I was not eligible for the SUB (usual laundry list of reasons that I've never done like opening/closing accounts, B/T, etc.) so chose not to continue with the application. This was on April 13th. Since that date, the gold card will not show up when logged in or on a computer with cookies. I can see and am preapproved for every other personal card (no expanding your membership with us is easy).

 

If I clear cookies or use incognito mode on any browser and apply for the gold card, I get the same message as in the image that you posted @swing_shot. I haven't tried using a referral code from someone else. I've also never tried contacting AMEX as I thought the gold would eventually show up again (it hasn't).

 

If I go to the AMEX application status website, for some reason it shows TWO applications for the gold card from me on April 13th. Both show as cancelled. If I go to "view the full decision details" the website states that my application cannot be accessed.

 

Looking at previous threads there seemed to be speculation that AMEX would sometimes not show cards that you didn't have the profile to be approved for, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe it's just a glitch in the matrix Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.