Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pre Approval

tag
Tito1183
Regular Contributor

AMEX Pre Approval

Rookie question...when I log into my AMEX acct how would I know if I’m pre qualified or pre approved for another card?

I have. BCE “credit steps” so I don’t expect to see a pre approval at the moment, but would like to know what I’m looking for in the future.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Pre Approval

When you're logged in to your account, look in the upper left for the blue 'Menu' button.

Click on it, then 'Cards', then 'Charge and credit card offers'. 

When my wife recently added a BCP (she had the Delta Skymiles already) the 'New Welcome' offer was highlighted on the BCP. It never said preapproved or anything like that but I'd read here in the forums that if you have an existing Amex card the pull is most often soft. It def was in our case.

We have been happily terrorizing the local grocery stores with our 6% back ever since.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I log in to Amex and view cards I see two different lines after I click apply: "You're pre-approved" and "It's easy to extend your membership".

I assume the first is pre-approved and the second is anybody's guess.
Message 3 of 11
Tito1183
Regular Contributor

So when I go to 'Cards', then 'Charge and credit card offers' whatever is listed means I’m pre approved/qualified? Or should it have the wording or some sort of notification?
Message 4 of 11
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

What ABCD said... we have no need for another card (house hunting soon!) so I didn't try the 'apply now' button like he did!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Click the first apply button in the card list and see what the text on the next page says. I posted what mine says, it's pretty clear on my end when I am pre-approved.
Message 6 of 11
Tito1183
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies! I did exactly that and get "It's easy to extend your membership". I’m in the process of building and our closing is in Jan/Feb so I’ll hold off as well.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never apply for anything 6 months before closing.

Don't even risk it. Can throw off your loan approval or rate.
Message 8 of 11
sjt
Senior Contributor

I log into my account and see pre-approval offers after I hit the "Apply" button. Its say "SJT, you are pre-approved". It also gives me an APR range. So Im curious if Im actually pre-approved or not. Also, if you are pre-approved is it a SP or a HP. If its a HP and you are already a card member does it really make a difference if you are pre-approved or not.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 11
drboxing
Established Contributor

when you log into your AMEX account then click on other cards, if your preapproved it show that your pre approved, that's how it worked for me.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.