Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pre-Quals after BK rebuild... FINALLY

tag
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

AMEX Pre-Quals after BK rebuild... FINALLY

I haven't applied yet, because I am closing on my mortgage soon, so this is not technically an approval, but I wanted to share that FINALLY, after many, many years of rebuilding my credit after Bankruptcy and Foreclosure, and thanks to this AMAZING forum, I got my very first pre-quals from AMEX.  There is nothing in my report that should preclude an approval, so I am taking this as a firm nod that when the time comes, I will be approved. 

For those that are rebuilding and feeling distraught, I hope this helps you maintain hope. It took over 5 years and so much financial planning to overcome a terrible situation that feels like, with this, is truly behind me.  I will update after I apply with (Hopefully!!) my actual approvals.  

Most DPs are in my signature, except EX is now at 696, and 1% util, 0 debt, (on all 3 CRA aside from the BK, I also have 4 baddies from the CH13 BK that are PIF).  I dismissed the BK as I was only trying to save my house, but it just turned out not to be possible. So, the small accounts that were associated were paid off over time in full, and once they and the BK age and fall off, I will be welll over into the 800s as my credit profile is 14 years old with lots of good files prior to the BK. There is hope!! Smiley Very Happy

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.08.32 PM.png

Sept 2022 EQ-825 TU-840 EX-830
UTIL: 1%
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Pre-Quals after BK rebuild... FINALLY

Glad to hear that things are looking up and moving in the right direction with your rebuild OP.

Just curious, though, was AmEx burned or IIB? If neither, then it sounds like you have a great chance at scoring some of their CCs.
Message 2 of 12
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

No, this is my first non-business issued AMEX.  I have never had a personal one in the past.  Also, there were no CC's burned in the BK.. it was a Ch13.  I opted to pay them outside the BK, and dismiss the BK. 

Message 3 of 12
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

I prequalified for those cards as well with decent APRs but as soon as hit the apply button that’s when I get cross-checked with their naughty list so insta-denial with no HP!
If they’re not burned or had no unsatisfactory past relationship with them then the pre-qual becomes much more reliable.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 12
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

No prior bad relationship, nothing burned.  So, hopefully that is a good outcome.  I have never, not once, until today ever got any of their pre-quals.  Fingers crossed!

Message 5 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@AI_JMV wrote:

No prior bad relationship, nothing burned.  So, hopefully that is a good outcome.  I have never, not once, until today ever got any of their pre-quals.  Fingers crossed!

Great job with your rebuild and congrats on your mortgage! 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 6 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your journey so far and getting pre-quals! Which card do you plan on going for?

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 7 of 12
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

I'm going for Delta Gold, and then also Gold and platinum Charge.  I am going to try to get the two golds together, and then hopefully add the plat with a SP in a month or two after account openings. 

Message 8 of 12
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Great job all round on your rebuild, I used the Delta gold for many years before I upped to the Reserve, great card to have on hand for getting on flights quicker and saving some pennies on baggage fees. Good luck I hope you get what you want.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 9 of 12
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

Thank you.  Im actually a DL Diamond already, BUT I am going to use the 75,000 miles toward an intl. upgrade for my sons next summer on our trip to europe.. it's just enough that i need plus what i have already to get it done. Thank you AMEX and Delta!! 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.