Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pre-qualification question

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

AMEX Pre-qualification question

I am an AU on my moms AMEX Everyday. I know that AMEX members cannot use the pre-qualified site because it takes them to the login page. Does this hold true for AU's as well?

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Pre-qualification question

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I am an AU on my moms AMEX Everyday. I know that AMEX members cannot use the pre-qualified site because it takes them to the login page. Does this hold true for AU's as well?

It shouldn't but why not just try and find out?

Message 2 of 7
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

It shouldn't but why not just try and find out?

I last app'd AMEX on 4-16. The Delta Sky Miles card, gold. I was declined for the usual reasons I get declined for, 1 baddy that is almost 7 years old, too much new credit, some late mortgage payments from before my divorce in 2013, and too many inquiries. I was an AU at the time but it was not showing on my CR yet since it had only been about 15 days since I was added to the AMEX Everyday. I have never prequalified for any of their cards on their site. I am in the graden but I admit, a solid chance with AMEX would get me out if it meant I could get my foot in the door. I have app'd the PRG too but that was back in January and denied for the same reasons. My scores and inquiry count is in my signature. I have not incurred any more baddies and my score has come up 15 points since my las app with them. Any advice on how to proceed? I don't want to cold app and get declined. If that is my only choice then I will wait. I only ask because I see others getting approval with lower scores and the frustrates me. 

CORRECTION: 

These are my correct app'd and declined dates and the cards I app'd

4-16-16 Delta Skymiles EX FICO 661

2-09-16 Everyday EX FICO 639

12-02-2015 PRG  EX FICO was 639 or lower

Updated 1-25-18
Message 3 of 7
gibeon
Established Contributor

It drives me nuts that the prequal doesn't work for current members... I've tried incognito, whole new browsers, etc...

As for approval odds, anectdotally, I've found that applying over the phone can be helpful to avoiding an auto-denial and getting an instant recon (pushing the aplroval through).

For my ED card I called in to apply, and it took a while as the CSR was talking to the underwriters a bit, but it went through. Sad limit, but hopefully will start getting CLIs in July...

My first Amex since I burned them about 15 years ago. Six months later and approved for Platinum card on invitation.

Goid luck!

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my 100k MR Platinum offer on the prequal page, a week after SPG. It didn't try to make me log in.

After instant acceptance, at the point of creating your online account i had the option of logging in to add it to my existing account.
Message 5 of 7
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I got my 100k MR Platinum offer on the prequal page, a week after SPG. It didn't try to make me log in.

After instant acceptance, at the point of creating your online account i had the option of logging in to add it to my existing account.

See, that makes me think I should just wait it out and not risk it. I don't want a wasted HP. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 6 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I usually don't app if I don't feel more sure I can get approved. I get what you are saying about others who get approved. There really doesn't seem to be reasoning behind it, other than every profile is viewed differently.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.