Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX app timing after Chase approval.

tag
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

AMEX app timing after Chase approval.

On 1/18/20 I was approved for a CSR and my plan at the time was to wait for 6 mo (July) before I have a huge trip in the fall to app for the AMEX Bonvoy Brillant (my first AMEX). But work has thrown me a big loop and I'm going to be traveling in May as well and I get to book all my travel and they reimburse it. It'd be a perfect time to grab the SUB and start stacking some elite nights (for the little they are worth) for this fall.

Will I be (generally) safe if I apply for the AMEX in early April from the ever-watchful Chase eye? It would be my 5th card in 16months (1/19, 4/19, 8/19, 1/20). If I'm pushing it a little, I don't mind waiting - I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my Chase relationship. Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX app timing after Chase approval.

You should be fine if that's the case. Plenty of time between recent CSR approval and upcoming AMEX app in a few months if that's all the action there will be

Message 2 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I think you are good to goSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll go ahead and say good luck on your application 👍

Message 4 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I think you should be just fine if you're allowing at least 90 days to be safe.

In addition,  Chase typically has a bigger issue with applying for multiple Chase cards close together, or cards that were part of a "spree" 

When I got approval for Freedom (over 5/24), not a peep from them. 

I decided to apply for CSP only a month later, they approved it but I got SPs every two weeks for straight two months, and everything went back to normal after that. 

Good luck

Message 5 of 7
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

I know you're excited for the Bonvoy card, but the SUB is not the best at this time.

See if you're eligible for the 100k MR SUB for the Platinum before you apply since that offer is only available if you don't have other Amex cards.

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 6 of 7
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

@MrCreditInternational wrote:

I know you're excited for the Bonvoy card, but the SUB is not the best at this time.

See if you're eligible for the 100k MR SUB for the Platinum before you apply since that offer is only available if you don't have other Amex cards.

I appreciate where you're coming from but the Plat just has too much overlap with the CSR without enough additional benefits for me. 100k MR would be nice but I can't seem to get it's to pop anywhere for me (Incognito, Card Match, etc are all 60k, not even a single 75K :/ ).

And while I realize the timing on the Bonvey sub isn't the best, using it for the trip presents good timing for me to easily hit the SUB. But if the 100k SUB pops up in March sometime, I may risk applying then. Maybe.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.