Did you mean: 

AMEX qualification

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX qualification

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

They approved me for the Delta gold at a 641 EX with 3 lates (newest one was 21 months), 4 chargeoffs, and 6 collections. I've never had a pre-qualified offer.

I'm hoping that'll happen for me once I can get my EX up to 640ish. Were those COs/CAs paid or unpaid?

Unpaid.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is my first.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gold card

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. 

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting. Is that considered a foot in the door to the core cards if paid as agreed to? 

Message 15 of 23
Conceptual23
Frequent Contributor

Wow! That's for that data, I was supposed to be gardening but now I want to pull the trigger on that Amex. 

Starting FICO 8s | 06/2018: EX 601 ✦ EQ 605 ✦ TU 590
Current FICO 8s | 9/2022: EX 732 ✦ EQ 739✦ TU 743
2023 Goal Score: 760+

Business Cards:

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved for the Amex BCE and my scores were 670 EQ, 680 EX, 656 TU and I had recent 120 lates (5 months ago) on Capitol One so I was shocked that I got approved (cold approval).  

SL is $1000 with SUB and 0% APR for 15 months. 

I was dumb though after getting that I apped for Chase and Citi and got denied.  

They didn't like those lates.  

Wish I hadn't taken the HP for those since I also just had inquiries for my new auto loan.  But I have several inquiries falling off in October.  So hopefully I can get approved with Chase later.

Message 17 of 23
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got approved for the Amex BCE and my scores were 670 EQ, 680 EX, 656 TU and I had recent 120 lates (5 months ago) on Capitol One so I was shocked that I got approved (cold approval).  

Wish I hadn't taken the HP for those since I also just had inquiries for my new auto loan.  But I have several inquiries falling off in October.  So hopefully I can get approved with Chase later.

Well Amex pulls EX for their apps, but yes with such fresh lates, you got lucky. That said, the $1k SL means you barely squeaked by, and growing the card via 3X CLI is going to be difficult and probably take a few years.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't I know it!  But I'm still glad I'm in.  And this helps my overall UTIL. 

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well Amex pulls EX for their apps, but yes with such fresh lates, you got lucky. That said, the $1k SL means you barely squeaked by, and growing the card via 3X CLI is going to be difficult and probably take a few years.

Message 19 of 23
NGeorge
Valued Member

AmEx can be tricky -- it took me 4 years to get a pre-qualified offer from them for a BCE even after I had got into 660 range  -- and even then it was for $500 with an auto bump to $1000 after 3 months while everyone else had put me up into the $2000-2500 range ($5000 with some Synchrony products). My goal had always been to get a premium AmEx, so I ran ALL my spending through it, paid it off multiple times per month.

18 months later they still wouldn't raise the limit on it, and my score had actually dropped slightly due to a newish large loan (back down into the 640s) -- But a couple months later I got a pop-up that I was qualified for the Platinum card... I was like... sure... right. My "ideal AmEx" that I'd been wanting all along was the SPG Luxury card which became the Bonvoy Brilliant (this was right at the SPG merge--they initially sent me a purple card until I got the metal one), but the pre-qual site offered up the Gold and Platinum... so I figured I'd try for the Bonvoy Brilliant... and sure enough, they gave it to me.... not with awesome terms (24 pct. APR), and a $3400 limit... but I was so thrilled I was finally in. 

So fast forward to now, 18 months later, I've got my score up into the 715-720 range regularly. I run 90 pct of my spending through my Bonvoy Brilliant... if they don't take AmEx, the rest goes in my Costco Visa (which was another story)...they bumped me up to a 5k limit... the BCE seems perpetually stuck at 1k, but I never use it... I'm pretty content with my card situation. Even though my AmEx isn't my highest SL, I love the rewards, and the customer service truly is great. I'm not worried about the high APR since I pay the thing off... one of these days once I'm up even a bit higher and consistently I will call and see about getting it down.

So yeah... as previously mentioned... Gold or BCE. Just remember the Gold is a charge card. My ultimate goal was a credit card (the Bonvoy Brilliant) so I was more than happy with the BCE. If your ultimate goal is a Platinum, and they offer you a Gold or even Green, take that and prove to them that you want to use them and that you make lots of regular payments, all on time.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.