Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alex Platinum Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alex Platinum Question

Hey everyone, I'm seriously considering applying for the Amex Platinum card in November. I'm waiting until November because I want my credit histroy to age more and I'll have my first amex card for 6 months. I was wondering what you all think my odds are of getting that card in November. At that point my credit will be over a year old. I have great histroy with amex, albeit a short histroy, my fico score is at 726 right now and im assuming after gardening and paything on time the next 4 months it will be even higher, and the people from amex told me that 6 months after I get my first amex card the platinum shouldnt be hard for me to get. Can anyone tell me what you think my chances are to get approved for that card? I head cash cards are eaiser to get approved for than credit cards as well. I do a lot of traveling during the hockey season so I would really like this card for the winter. Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alex Platinum Question

It depends. How many credit cards do you have? If you only have 1. They would say something like " not enought account to establish another account " Another thing is " your income ". They like to see that you  have high income, so they could give you a minimum credit line. Let's me assume the minimum credit line for that card is 10,000. So, I guess you should make at least 100,000 in order to apply for that card. 726 is a good score, but not that good . If i were you, i would wait. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an Amex card that is mine with a 3k limit and im an AU on a visa with a 2k limit. My income is 120k

Message 3 of 9
signaturecardmember
Frequent Contributor

I think you have a good shot at getting it, income and score are solid. Hopefully you have been using your existing card a ton for the benefits and paying in full. Credit is new to you but American Express knows you and they want those AFs! Hope you have also been asking fro CLIs on the existing card. I would consider getting a few more cards to compliment and give you the best score. Discover IT, Freedom Unlimited, etc are all great starter cards that can grow and you get great all around benefits with.

Started: 4/14 Bank of America Signature $6k, 85% Utilization, 745 Fako
Currently: 6/18 Bank of America Signature $99.9k, Chase Slate $0, Chase Freedom Signature $2.5k, American Express Gold NSL, American Express Everyday $6k, Lowes GE $0 (From $35k), Discover IT $38.5k, Capital One Quicksilver $5k, Barclays US Airways $24k, DCU Platinum $30k, PenFed Promise $47k, Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature (From CSP) $50k, Chase AARP Signature $7.5k, American Express Blue Cash $7.5k, Citi American Airlines Platinum $10.5k, Capital One Venture Signature $30k, Chase Sapphire Preferred (From Reserve) $12k, Chase Ink Business Preferred $10k, Barclays Aviator Business $14k. Total Available Credit: Over $350k, Utilization 4%, AAoA 7 Years, TU Fico 799, EX Fico 727
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So here’s my two cents. I applied for and was approved for the PRG in february when my score was in the 630s. My income was 90k at the time. I have read over and over again that the underwriting requirement for all the charge cards are the same. If I could get approved for the PRG with that score, I would think you could be approved for the platinum with a score almost 100 points higher. You really won’t know until you try. If you really want it, I saw go for it. If you are denied, at least you will know why they denied you and you can work on that.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I actually just got my first CLI on the Amex 2 days ago. Ive been using the card a ton and paying in full all the time. Ill even make mulitple payments per month. And then Ill sned 50-100 dollars a few hours before my statement generates this way it reports a low UTL

Message 6 of 9
wingennis
Valued Contributor

No on can say for sure but hopefully you can make an informed decision if we provide you enough data points.  I was approved for the Platinum with a EX FICO of 660.  My history is much older than yours but my scores are being suppressed by 3 old paid COs.  I did wait to apply until I selected the Platinum and saw "You are pre-approved" at the top of a dialogue box asking for income update.  Prior to that it said "expanding your membership is easy" and I knew it would be a no.  Good luck!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea I actually just got my first CLI on the Amex 2 days ago. Ive been using the card a ton and paying in full all the time. Ill even make mulitple payments per month. And then Ill sned 50-100 dollars a few hours before my statement generates this way it reports a low UTL

If you’ve already gotten a CLI on your card, that means you’ve likely had it for a while. With your income and score, you’d likely be approved for it now. Assuming everything stays the same or improves through November, I think you would very likely be approved. 

You should be able to check for pre-approved offers at anytime by clicking on the Platinum card and selecting “Apply Now.” If you see the message, “You’re pre-approved,” then you have a higher chance of getting it. If it says something along the lines of “Expand your membership with American Express in as little as 30 seconds,” you have not been preapproved yet.  Just clicking on “Apply Now” won’t process an application as you would still need to submit the application. There’s no harm in checking. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wingennis wrote:

No on can say for sure but hopefully you can make an informed decision if we provide you enough data points.  I was approved for the Platinum with a EX FICO of 660.  My history is much older than yours but my scores are being suppressed by 3 old paid COs.  I did wait to apply until I selected the Platinum and saw "You are pre-approved" at the top of a dialogue box asking for income update.  Prior to that it said "expanding your membership is easy" and I knew it would be a no.  Good luck!

I’m just seeing the boldest text above. Yeah, what☝️said. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.