Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx 1 in 5 Possibly?

tag
MacRoadie
Contributor

AmEx 1 in 5 Possibly?

I applied for and was approved for the AmEx Delta SkyMiles Platinum card on October 7th, at 6:00 PM. I am also interested in the Bonvoy Brilliant card as I stay primarily at Marriott properties. I know about the AmEx 1 in 5 “rule” (only one new revolver every five days, charge cards don’t count) so I held off on applying right away.

Fast-forward to yesterday (10/12), I decided to give the app a shot, waited until after 6 PM, clicked on the apply now button and got the pre-approved splash screen. Filled in the information requested, hit submit, and got a “sorry we can’t approve” message. Checked the application status page and the application shows as cancelled, not declined.

Usually, that status signals a violation of the 1 in 5, or 2 in 90 day rules (they just don’t process the app), so I figured I’d wait another day and try again. Took another shot this morning (six days after approval on the Delta card), and got the exact same result. Application cancelled, Not declined.

Thoughts,

FICO 8 (7/24/19) EX: 682, EQ: 701, TU: 700

FICO 8 (10/14/19) EX: 710, EQ: 711, TU: 709
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx 1 in 5 Possibly?

What's the rush to get both cards so close together?

Message 2 of 9
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

Have you reached out to Amex for the reason your application was cancelled and not denied?
Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 3 of 9
MacRoadie
Contributor

I have travel in January, and know I will satisfy minimum spend on both cards by the end of next month.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I have a feeling that it could possibly be tenure with Amex as reason the for denial. Your score is kind of low, and they might feel your profile doesn't warrant another card? However, not knowing any of you other info like age of accounts etc. it's hard to tell. 

I've DP's from people that have apped two cards within days of each other. I just know you cannot app more than 2 in 60 days, so in theory you should have been fine.

Also, generally when you click on teh apply button and it sasys "pre-Approved". You don't usually have to enter any info. Ever since my first app, whenever I apply for another card it's all pre-filled. So that may have been a hint that you ween't going to be approved. 

Message 5 of 9
MacRoadie
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, I have a feeling that it could possibly be tenure with Amex as reason the for denial. Your score is kind of low, and they might feel your profile doesn't warrant another card? However, not knowing any of you other info like age of accounts etc. it's hard to tell. 

I've DP's from people that have apped two cards within days of each other. I just know you cannot app more than 2 in 60 days, so in theory you should have been fine.

Also, generally when you click on teh apply button and it sasys "pre-Approved". You don't usually have to enter any info. Ever since my first app, whenever I apply for another card it's all pre-filled. So that may have been a hint that you ween't going to be approved. 

Approval.jpg

Pre-filled other than current income and Bonvoy number. Current experian is 720, and I've been a Gold then Platinum member since 2017. No HP on any CR. I do know there is a 1 in 5 rule now (no more than one new revolving card within 5 days although charge cards are "unlimited"), along with no more than 2 in 60. Recon line is closed Sundays, so I'll call tomorrow and get the skinny.

Also, the application status page lists the status as "Cancelled", not "Declined"

status.jpg

Status error.jpg

Message 6 of 9
snickerpedia
Frequent Contributor

Did u call?? Also it’s two revolvers in 90 days not 60

TU - 785
EX - 771
EQ - 779

Citi premier 13
CSP 29
X1 33.5k
/CIU 6k
Message 7 of 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Good luck reconning !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 8 of 9
MacRoadie
Contributor

@snickerpedia wrote:
Did u call?? Also it’s two revolvers in 90 days not 60

Yes, 2 in 90 is the rule.

No, did not call. No HP, no decline, and I've lost the motivation to work two new cards simultaneously. Almost talked myself out of applying in the first place, so maybe it's kismet.

Gonna let the sleeping dog lie. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.