Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon CLI Denied by underwriter. So discouraged :/

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon CLI Denied by underwriter. So discouraged :/

I tried for an Amazon CLI a week ago and it was denied when I did it via chat. I called Synchrony today and got an underwriter and instead of seeing what he could do he just did another soft pull CLI request. I guess I had false expectations of what a recon call was. I thought I would call up, tell him my situation and he would decide the final outcome. My credit score is bad. Really bad. Low 500s. It's mostly due to medical bills in collections. I've been a card holder with Amazon for proabably 4 years now. I told him I wanted to increase my limit as it would lower my utilization and have a bit of a buffer for the small purchases I make (my limit right now is a paltry $100, lowered from $750 after our medical bill issues), disclosed my annual income which is over $70K. I'll be honest, it's a little discouraging when I can't even get a CLI on a card I've had for 4 years.

Is that typically how recon calls go? Or should I have been more agressive in stating why I was calling and told him that I wanted to know if there was anything he could do after he told me it was denied?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Amazon CLI Denied by underwriter. So discouraged :/

Your score and collections is holding your score back.  I would not be asking for any CLI right now.  I understand you want a CLI but they are looking at the risk associated with your credit profile.  Also seeing that they have CLD you is not a good sign.  Remember that income is not everyting when requesting a CLI, they look at your overall portfolio not just income.  

I would be working on the baddies that are on your credit profile and get those in order. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right Pway.  I guess it just gets frustrating because I've already raised my score by about 30 points, lowered DTI a decent amount so in *my* mind I feel I'm proving to them I'm being responsible but of course my opinion of myself is going to be slightly biased haha!

Capital One did say they would give me a $500 increase if I pay 75 dollars a month for the next 5 months. Which works for me because that will bring my balance to $0 and give me a 2K credit limit.

Message 3 of 10
ddemari
Super Contributor

dont be discouraged. just rememer that it takes some time. Keep doing everything right and keeping balances low for the next 3 months and you will see sucess. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried for an Amazon CLI a week ago and it was denied when I did it via chat. I called Synchrony today and got an underwriter and instead of seeing what he could do he just did another soft pull CLI request. I guess I had false expectations of what a recon call was. I thought I would call up, tell him my situation and he would decide the final outcome. My credit score is bad. Really bad. Low 500s. It's mostly due to medical bills in collections. I've been a card holder with Amazon for proabably 4 years now. I told him I wanted to increase my limit as it would lower my utilization and have a bit of a buffer for the small purchases I make (my limit right now is a paltry $100, lowered from $750 after our medical bill issues), disclosed my annual income which is over $70K. I'll be honest, it's a little discouraging when I can't even get a CLI on a card I've had for 4 years.

Is that typically how recon calls go? Or should I have been more agressive in stating why I was calling and told him that I wanted to know if there was anything he could do after he told me it was denied?

CB0225 dont beat yourself up, I have 12 medical collections against me currently, 5 of them are paid and 7 of them are unnpaid....I am working on GW letters and working on pay with delete letters. I had 4 other non-medical charge off accounts against me, One of them just got deleted off my file last night. That charge off was only 7 months old but due to disputing it and GW letters I believe that they deleted it. My scores are now in the mid to lower 600's.....6 months ago I was around 530 for a FICO score. Patience and hard work is key! Do not give up!

Message 5 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CB0225 dont beat yourself up, I have 12 medical collections against me currently, 5 of them are paid and 7 of them are unnpaid....I am working on GW letters and working on pay with delete letters. I had 4 other non-medical charge off accounts against me, One of them just got deleted off my file last night. That charge off was only 7 months old but due to disputing it and GW letters I believe that they deleted it. My scores are now in the mid to lower 600's.....6 months ago I was around 530 for a FICO score. Patience and hard work is key! Do not give up!

+1

Don't give up OP, cleaning up your credit is a long hard journey but you can do it. Work on those PFD letters, your credit will improve with time and effort.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Medical bills are the #1 reason for BK's.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the leading reasons for collections as well.  Numerous members of the House of Representatives have tried and are trying to get exceptions for medical bills to the FCRA and FDCPA.  Some lenders ignore medical bills, others don't.  Until changes to the laws are made, or we move to a single payer system, we have to live in the society we've built.

There are some tricks you can use with those medical bills.  Often times they'll settle for less, agree to remove upon payment (usually full payment, but you might get lucky), help you with local payment assistance, etc.  Because the medical bill problem is such a problem there is usually local resources to help.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to say I didn't expect to see this much support in the community here. You guys are awesome.

It would be nice if laws were changed concerning medical bills. A lot of them came at a time that I was transitioning jobs and didn't have any sort of pipeline built in my new role and we had just moved. It was kind of a perfect storm of not getting some bills and just being broke!

I'm glad to hear you guys had similar situations and have seen progress. It's definitely encouraging. I definitely appreciate you all sharing that with me.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let just say I am paying back slowly for medical bills from a car accident that wasnt even my fault but because the insurance was USAA versus USAA and I was suing becuase I lost my job due to my injuries and have had pain since the accident I only got a 6,000 payout and my medical bills came to around 19,000 plus and attorney fee of 4,500. So yeah I got royally screwed. Some of the bills I got removed without even paying...but like I said in the start of this convo majority of the accounts hit collections, My Equifax score was murdered, I believe in the start it was 14 accounts but I think right now it is only 6 reporting, ( all combined I have about 3,000 left to pay). I am paying 175 a month, plus I throw in extra if I have it. The accident took place new years eve (December 31, 2014). I will say that still to this day I still have alot of issues with my neck and back and have issues with my nerves... I am only 25 years old and some days I feel like a 70 year old man. My migranies and headaches are killer. So I write all of this to show that I myself and many others have been down the road you are traveling....Do Not Give UP! It will pay off in the end, Trust Me!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You're right Pway.  I guess it just gets frustrating because I've already raised my score by about 30 points, lowered DTI a decent amount so in *my* mind I feel I'm proving to them I'm being responsible but of course my opinion of myself is going to be slightly biased haha!

Capital One did say they would give me a $500 increase if I pay 75 dollars a month for the next 5 months. Which works for me because that will bring my balance to $0 and give me a 2K credit limit.

I have a feeling that Synchrony cares more about your TU score than anything else...Just seems to be the way they are from my POV

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.