Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card BK Friendly?

tag
Insoc
New Contributor

Amazon Store Card BK Friendly?

I buy a lot from Amazon and am contemplating doing an app for this, but I am leery of GECRB since they rejected me back in the Spring for a Paypal Visa CC. Thing is I am 15 months post Chap. 7 BK Discharge and recently landed two other CCs and am on the fence about doing another app so soon.

I know that the other Amazon option provided by Chase is not BK friendly, that is Chase isn't.

I know that GE changed their name to Symphony Bank, but I'm still not sure if this is worth the inquiry?  Does anyone have any ideas?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Store Card BK Friendly?

I know when you click to app for the Amazon store card it says No Bankruptcies and No Serious derogs(I was scared about that one before I applied because I didnt know the definition of a serious derog).........but I have seen many people on this board who had a BK (not sure how old it was) and was approved for the Amazon store card. This is my experience.

My mom has about the same score (hers might of been a little lower but she was still over 600) as I did when we both app'ed for the Amazon Store card.My TU was 623. The only difference is she had a BK from 12 months ago (perfect history since then) and I had 3 very very old collections (5-6 years old) but I have never filed BK
......she applied first and got the standard "we will contact you message" and was later denied. I applied and was Instantly approved for $800

Like I said her BK was only 12 months though and was recently approved for Pacific Sunwear, Justice, Victorias Secret, and 2 Cap One cards. I know for a fact I have seen quite a few members say they had a BK and were approved for a Amazon store Card but I just dont know how fresh or old their BK was. Maybe someone can help with that but I do know they will approve you with BK's!
Message 2 of 22
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

@Insoc wrote:

I buy a lot from Amazon and am contemplating doing an app for this, but I am leery of GECRB since they rejected me back in the Spring for a Paypal Visa CC. Thing is I am 15 months post Chap. 7 BK Discharge and recently landed two other CCs and am on the fence about doing another app so soon.

I know that the other Amazon option provided by Chase is not BK friendly, that is Chase isn't.

I know that GE changed their name to Symphony Bank, but I'm still not sure if this is worth the inquiry?  Does anyone have any ideas?

In 2008 I was approved for every GE card for which I applied  - about a total of 7 - including Amazon -. with a 5-year-old BK.  I still have 4 of those accounts all but JCP have at least a $5,000 CL - and the JCP was CLD simply due to a lack of use - but it was actually my highest CL.   I do not know if things have changed - but I know back then - many of us turned to GE to help us rebuild - and to gain accounts that actually grew with us even though we had a spotty credit profile.  

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 3 of 22
Insoc
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I know when you click to app for the Amazon store card it says No Bankruptcies and No Serious derogs(I was scared about that one before I applied because I didnt know the definition of a serious derog).........but I have seen many people on this board who had a BK (not sure how old it was) and was approved for the Amazon store card. This is my experience.

My mom has about the same score (hers might of been a little lower but she was still over 600) as I did when we both app'ed for the Amazon Store card.My TU was 623. The only difference is she had a BK from 12 months ago (perfect history since then) and I had 3 very very old collections (5-6 years old) but I have never filed BK
......she applied first and got the standard "we will contact you message" and was later denied. I applied and was Instantly approved for $800

Like I said her BK was only 12 months though and was recently approved for Pacific Sunwear, Justice, Victorias Secret, and 2 Cap One cards. I know for a fact I have seen quite a few members say they had a BK and were approved for a Amazon store Card but I just dont know how fresh or old their BK was. Maybe someone can help with that but I do know they will approve you with BK's!

Interesting, I still have not attempted to apply.  I did read some negatives, appears that they are noted for reducing your CL without warning, some people stated they had greater than $1K of credit, paid off the balance prior to 6 months expiring to not get hit with interest and that their CL was reduced to $100, attempts to get any answers or recons were unsuccessful, also I read that their bill pay online is confusing, they have it buried under several pages and make it very difficult to pay or should say the process to pay is not as easy as it is with other creditors.

I buy a lot from Amazon, thinking this would be a benefit but I'm now having doubts.  

Message 4 of 22
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Insoc wrote:

The old rule of thumb was 2+ yrs out of BK for GECRB.   So I'd recommend holding off just a couple more months.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 22
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Just an FYI.... My BK7 is 1yr old (discharged Aug 2013), and I was approved instantly online for the store card $700. Was approved at the time 6 months post DC. I have 6 CC backed by Synchrony, that are now anywhere from 4mo-1 yr old. They are BK friendly, so the 2yrs post in not dead set. Also depends on your profile as well.
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read those reviews too and it scared me at first but finding where to make a payment is very very easy. Theres a button right next to your current balance as well as on top of the page that says "pay your bill" I put $285 on the card on 10/20 and made my first payment of $100 about 1 week ago. Very very easy and it hit my account in 2-3 days. There was also a price drop on the product within 7 days of us getting it so amazon also credited the price difference of $50 to the account so right now I only owe $135 which will be paid off 11/21....well before the 6 months. I cant speak for the CLDs but when I pay it off and if anything happens I will definitely update everyone but so far I love it and (knock on wood) everything has been great. Their site is very easy to navigate.
Message 7 of 22
Insoc
New Contributor

Well I decided to apply this morning, was shocked as I got instant approval for $600 with no issues.

Not sure if being a Amazon Prime Member made a difference?  

I think this will be it for me now, time to garden.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon has a large pool of grossly incompetent customers, at least that is my thought after realing their forums. Just ignore half of the negatives you read.

Payment is extremely easy. Amazon.com/storecard has all the links one needs. There are also links on the bottom of every amazon page to the credit card section. When you are automatically approved it will let you set up online bank accesss during the process. I made my first payment the day the first charge posted to my account.

Some examples so you get an idea on the calibur of customers that have the card.:

People who cannot figure out how to set up bill pay through their own bank.

People who think a store card should be able to be used anywhere Visa and Mastercard can be used.

People who have a $500 credit limit who think they can buy a $2000 item because the monthly payment is less than their credit limit.

People who max out their card before they even have the account number to make a payment.

Message 9 of 22
Insoc
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amazon has a large pool of grossly incompetent customers, at least that is my thought after realing their forums. Just ignore half of the negatives you read.

Payment is extremely easy. Amazon.com/storecard has all the links one needs. There are also links on the bottom of every amazon page to the credit card section. When you are automatically approved it will let you set up online bank accesss during the process. I made my first payment the day the first charge posted to my account.

Some examples so you get an idea on the calibur of customers that have the card.:

People who cannot figure out how to set up bill pay through their own bank.

People who think a store card should be able to be used anywhere Visa and Mastercard can be used.

People who have a $500 credit limit who think they can buy a $2000 item because the monthly payment is less than their credit limit.

People who max out their card before they even have the account number to make a payment.

That's what I realized after reading more into the reviews as well.  

Amazon actually gave me instant access to the credit line and made it my preferred payment method automatically, along with that they gave me a $40 instant gift card.

I do not see me ever needing more than the CL they gave me, just wish they offered points like the Chase Amazon VISA, but I did not even bother applying for that since my BK would have meant instant denial.  

The 6 month to 12 month promo, no APR is nice.  Do they offer this only one time or occasionally?  

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.