Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Application Cancelled?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Application Cancelled?

Applied for AmEx BCE on 7/10. ***I don't recall having to list a phone number on my application. My phone have have autofilled it?*** At the end of the application it asked if it could send me a verification code TO THE WRONG PHONE NUMBER(to be clear this was my phone number up until ~3 months ago).

7/11 I checked the application status site, which showed In Progress. I called the New Account hotline. I explained my story INCLUDING THE PHONE NUMBER PROBLEM, and the CSR told me I was being reviewed by their fraud review team and I'd receive a call in 2 days or less. I started to object, saying they had the wrong number, and he assured me I'd get a call soon.

7/12 I tried tweeting AmEx support to see if I could get any further with them, but they just had me call the same phone number. The CSR and I did the same conversation, I kept saying the wrong phone number was used on the application and she kept assuring me I'd get a phone call I just need to wait.

7/14 Around 2PM my application disappeared from their application status site. Around 3PM it reappeared as Cancelled. I called the New Account hotline a third time and the CSR said it was cancelled until I reply to a letter that should arrive today or tomorrow. He made it a point to say my reply had to be handwritten and I might have to include a document.

Which document does AmEx usually require? I moved to my current address in March. Could this be it?

I'm afraid of income verification. I listed 40k because thats my household income (myself plus wife) but we temporarily have separate checking accounts (taking advantage of a Chase offer). What do I do if they ask for bank statements or my paystubs? Or does AmEx typically ask for tax forms?

*** UPDATE ***

Got a letter from AmEx today. It's just address verification - whew! They want an official letterhead statement from a bank. Problem is, it says to send it back in the enclosed prepaid envelope... but there was no envelope included.

I called AmEx again and they said all they could do was send the letter again. Should I just send it to the PO Box listed as the return address?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express Application Cancelled?

From what I have read income verification with Amex is tax returns.
My guess would be this is identity verification so more like asking for utility bill
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope they don't pull your cr again
Message 3 of 6
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Hopefully it is not a 4506 for tax returns, It may just be for ID, and a bill.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

*** UPDATE ***

Got a letter from AmEx today. It's just address verification - whew! They want an official letterhead statement from a bank. Problem is, it says to send it back in the enclosed prepaid envelope... but there was no envelope included.

I called AmEx again and they said all they could do was send the letter again. Should I just send it to the PO Box listed as the return address?

edit - to be clear I'm just worried about whatbaddress to send it to

Message 5 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

*** UPDATE ***

edit - to be clear I'm just worried about whatbaddress to send it to

If it were me, I would call them and ask.  At this point, the last thing you want to do is go 'out of process', since that would most likely kill the application.  Keep in mind since they are treating this as possible fraud, anything you do from here on out will be carefully observed (until you're approved, I mean). 

You don't want to give them a reason to suspect 'fraud' any more than they already do.  Also keep in mind this is for your protection as well as theirs, otherwise it would be childsplay for anybody to open an account in someone else's name. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.