Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express TE/Costco Card: Question [Spouse APPROVED]

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express TE/Costco Card: Question [Spouse APPROVED]

Tonight, I applied for the American Express Costco/TE card.  I'm an existing member of AmExt since 2014 with the Everyday Card and the PRG.  Upon submitting the application, I received the further review notice and figured I was declined.  I called in to see if they needed further information or at the very least, get the bad news.  Instead, I my information was being verified.  Everything checked except my Costco membership number.  My spouse and I both have an Executive membership.  My spouse was listed first (as primary) and I was listed secondary.  In fact, I do have a card with my name and Costco membership # on it. However, the CSR at AmEx was unable to verify the membership.  I tried explaining to him that buying the Executive Membership entiled my spouse and I to have a joint membership card.  I'm not sure he fully understand (he did admit to me he was a CSR from India -- very polite, very articulate, very thorough) -- In other words, I don't think he understood me, or there was some problem disallowing him to verify my membership at Costco because I am listed second (?)  He forwarded the application to the "Executive Concern" team and told me to call back in 48-72 hours at which time they'd finish processing my application.  My question is:  has anyone ever encountered this?  Does it matter if I am primary or secondary on our joint costco membership account?  Will I need to buy my own Costco membership? Smiley Frustrated   We've got other AmEx cards we can use but we'd rather enjoy the rewards/fruits of using the TE/Costco AmEx. 

February 12th:  After having to cancel and resubmit applications due to American Express not being able to validate our membership number, and after being informed that my spouse had to submit an application (rather than me, for I am NOT the primary holder of the executive level membership at Costco), we were approved for a $1,200 limit this morning.  We'll take it.  It's kind of low, but the limit will grow.  Unfortunately, as of April 2016, Costco will no longer accept American Express cards, so I am hoping that AmEx will convert this card to another one from their lineup! Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: American Express TE/Costco Card: Question

"Executive Concern team."

Love that vaunted Amex customer service.

Sorry, nothing else to add. I'm actually interested in what the answer is, though.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stralem wrote:

"Executive Concern team."

Love that vaunted Amex customer service.

Sorry, nothing else to add. I'm actually interested in what the answer is, though.

I'll definitely keep you posted.  As articulate as the young man was, there were definitely communication problems.  As I was explaining to him that the Costco card was taken out by my spouse as the primary member and me as the secondary he said:  "Sir, I hope the information you have provided is your own!"   I then tried explaining to him that yes, it was really me, my social, my date of birth, my credit application -- but that the **COSTCO** membership was joint.  Still -- a no go.  I had a feeling he was ready to approve me but this was the sticking point. 

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not believe you would need your own Costco Membership in order to apply for their card. I am secondary on my mothers costco account, I recently updated us to Executive Membership as I do the majority of shopping there. I had no issues at all with getting an approval and my mom wants no where near that card. It very well might be a verification issue between the companies. Good Luck.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not believe you would need your own Costco Membership in order to apply for their card. I am secondary on my mothers costco account, I recently updated us to Executive Membership as I do the majority of shopping there. I had no issues at all with getting an approval and my mom wants no where near that card. It very well might be a verification issue between the companies. Good Luck.

And I called back and spoke with a manager who explained to me that when I filed the application, the membership # I input was 1 digit off.  When I called in to verify my information, the rep ascertained that the # I provided was incorrect and updated the system; however, he was unable to match the correct membership # with my name.  It's listed underneath my spouse's as Primary.  The manager then informed me that if it is indeed my spouse who is primary on the Costco Membership (executive level), that the system would decline my application because the system cross checks the information on the credit application with the information provided to Costco (name, address, whatever).  He then informed me that if I wanted a Costco/TE card that I should buy my own membership and then re-apply!  Incredible!!!  I asked him to please cancel my application!!!  What a fiasco!  I'm not entirely sure I want to buy another Costco membership simply to have my name put as primary so I can apply for an AmEx.    Fortunately, the application status now reflects:  CANCELLED.   

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! I though Amex was customer friendly. That's stupidity to the fifth power.

Message 6 of 15
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

This has been AMEX's policy at least in my and my DW's situation in regards to our experience applying for this card.  Prior to applying we triple checked what Amex considered as "Costco membership" and came to the conclusion when my DW would respond to an offer we'd update our membership (let it expire under my name Smiley Sad...), and let her acquire a new membership with me as the secondary.  What a pain but it did allow us to avoid this little hiccup as Amex had BOTH COSTCO MEMBERSHIP numbers within their system and definitely verified if she was the PRIMARY!  Downside for those who aren't aware is in doing this..AMEX will VOID the other TE card for not maintaining a COSTCO membership..therefore you will either quickly activate a basic COSTCO membership or let them close the TL.  GL to others who might be in the same situation or are considering it, as I had ZERO with AMEX CSR.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zorasmiles wrote:

This has been AMEX's policy at least in my and my DW's situation in regards to our experience applying for this card.  Prior to applying we triple checked what Amex considered as "Costco membership" and came to the conclusion when my DW would respond to an offer we'd update our membership (let it expire under my name Smiley Sad...), and let her acquire a new membership with me as the secondary.  What a pain but it did allow us to avoid this little hiccup as Amex had BOTH COSTCO MEMBERSHIP numbers within their system and definitely verified if she was the PRIMARY!  Downside for those who aren't aware is in doing this..AMEX will VOID the other TE card for not maintaining a COSTCO membership..therefore you will either quickly activate a basic COSTCO membership or let them close the TL.  GL to others who might be in the same situation or are considering it, as I had ZERO with AMEX CSR.

What a mess!  I had an uneasy feeling about this application and I should have gone with that and left it alone.  Yet, we do an awful lot of shopping at Costco, and whereas I am an existing AmEx customer, we felt that trying for the card underneath my name and social security number would simplify things.  NOT!  Fortunately, AmEx cancelled my application because I am secondary on the executive membership.  I had my spouse apply for the card today.  Guess what?  It's "in progress" and now they are telling HIM that they can't verify his membership and have referred his credit app to an "internal department" and to check back on Monday or Tuesday.  This has been a disasterous process!  Maybe they should require applications to be filled out at the store only if it's going to cause these messy things to happen? 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spouse was approved.  FINALLY.  See updated original post! 

Message 9 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Umm Amex TE might of not been best choice.. Just announced Costco/Amex relationship terminated first quarter of 2016 Smiley Happy.. Least you have a year to use the card then I am guessing it will be converted to another one of their cards, maybe ed?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.