Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 2nd prequal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 2nd prequal

I know I've read several threads talking about logging in to Amex account and then going under prequal cards. After you go to a different browser and incognito to see if you get a better SUB for the same cards. 

I did the incognito first and had Everyday card as well as Cash Magnet. I then went and logged in and went to view prequal cards and nothing came up except the the normal view cards screen that had my card listed as well as SPG cards. Now I know I wasn't prequal for those and nothing came up saying that. 

My question is, shouldn't they have the same cards listed? Am I likely to be denied from the incognito site if they aren't showing up on my account version of prequal?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 2nd prequal

From experience I have been denied for a 2nd prequal with American Express. It was for the Cash Magnet... Was only trying to get it for the promotions and the guy told me that I was guarnteed to be approved for it. Applied and was denied. I called and complained about how it showed up here and here and how their rep told me this. After about 2 weeks of fighting and providing them with proof of what their rep said, I had the hard pull removed Smiley LOL It's fine though, I decided to get a Discover card afterwards.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long has it been since your first app, and did you have any prequals with them? Often you wili be approved for other cards if you have any prequals at all. It could simply be too soon is all, and they're still going on old data. I suggest limiting  apps and bringing nay utilization down a month prior to any apps. Then try again.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first app was about 3 weeks ago. I was only prequal for PRG and green card. I had only applied for the PRG and discover, both of which I got. Just haven't had them reporting for any time.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there Smiley Happy 

If you already have an AMEX account, the easiest way to see what you are prequalified for is to actually login through your account and then go to the section that shows all of the cards that AMEX offers. It will show you the complete list and under each card there will be a section to see more information or to Apply. If you click on Apply across the top, if you are pre-approved/qualified, it will say it right at the time. You do not have to go anywhere else to see this. Generally after having the card for a few months, and paying ontime, they will open up all of the cards to you for approval. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I didn't click apply for any of the cards. I just clicked on view prequal cards and it took me to a screen that had my card and SPG cards. I was expecting a screen that said these are the cards you are prequal for, like on the prequal site.

So you are saying that I actually have to click on the apply for the particular card to see if I'm prequal?

Thank you
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, while logged in hit apply on the card you're interested in. And it will say if you're "preapproved" and a decison within 30 seconds etc. If not, then don't apply. If it does say preapproved, that's when you can usually apply incogneto mode for the higher SUB if there is one.

I will say that 3 weeks is likely too soon to app for another card, as they don't have anything to go on quite yet. But your current CR could be all that is needed, IDK your situation. 

Even still, if denied there's no HP, so no big loss you can try again later.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I did that and it didn't say preapproved
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I did that and it didn't say preapproved. I went back into incognito mode to prequal site and the same 2 showed up again. So I app'd for the cash magnet card.

I was feeling cocky because I had just gotten approved from NFCU for 10k so how could I not get this?

Well I got the 14 review message and I'm guessing that's bad. Not cocky anymore.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

5ms

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.