Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLI question

When the 61 days is up and you go to ask for 3x CLI, has anyone ever asked for more than 3x and been approved? Also what if you ask for more and its not granted? Do they counter offer you like some other creditors or is it just a denial/review message? I was thinking of doing a 4x CLI if I could but don't want to push my luck. When its a denial I've seen that they say 3-5 days and that it will go under review. I don't want a review because I have many new accounts but I'm wondering not just for my 61 day increase but also for future reference like maybe a year from now. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Amex CLI question

Asked for what you want Roy. Most of the time the system will counter offer you. If it asked for IV, just back out and lower the amount.
Amex isn't sensitive to new accounts or INQs IME.
No reviews, just denied. Wait and try again at 91 days. If nothing, try at 181 days.
Amex was my first card in a long drawn out spree, spread over nearly 3 years. If they were that sensitive. I would have been cut loose long ago.lol
Message 2 of 7
Mahraja
Valued Contributor

OP Gmood is 100% correct Amex is not sensitive @all as long as you have decent utilization and not too high simple plan 1st ask the credit increase upon the positive outcome (hopefully) go for the new account

Profile Worth 2.0+M+
___________R.a.j
"Be Stronger Than Your Strongest Excuse"
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have yet to get a CLI when I ask. I'll have the card a year this April. They have me an auto CLI last month. No notification. I only saw it as I logged in to pay my bill. I use it everyday and pay off every other day.
Message 4 of 7
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I believe I read somewhere on this forum that the highest you can go is 3X the original limit. It’s supposed to be a policy.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex doesn't seem to be too strict.  I received my card back in May 2017 with a SL of 2000.  I tried the 3X method a few times; at 60 days after account opening and then a few months after that.  It was denied each time.  In November they gave me a auto CLI to take my CL to 6000.  I was feeling ambitious so I then went in and requested 3X my current limit.  They auto approved it and now my limit is 18K. 

Message 6 of 7
601flyguy
Established Contributor

That's true, the maximum they will approve is a 3x cli. If you ask for more, they will just counter with 3x.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.