Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI questions if you have multiple Amex cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLI questions if you have multiple Amex cards

Hi there!  I have 3 Amex cards that I got pretty recently after closing on our house:  the EveryDay, the Blue Cash, and the Hilton Honors.  I asked for CLI on the EveryDay for less than 3x because I didn't know you could do that, but now that I've been educated on that, and have had the other two cards for more than 60 days, I decided to try for 3x on the Blue Cash and it came back that, " We cannot increase the credit limit of a Card within six months of increasing the credit limit on another Amex Card."   What?????  Is that for real? What's everyone else's experience with this? How can I strategicly increase these if that's true?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex CLI questions if you have multiple Amex cards

Hello,

The message is correct. You must wait 180 days from the date of an approved CLI that took place on any card. This rule then effects all cards you have with American Express. You have to then pick and choose where you want your increases if you have multiple cards. One further note. If you receive a decline on a request, you must wait 90 days before requesting another increase. Note: This does not include a decline because you ask too early on the 180 day part... it's not a true decline but rather a message letting you know that you aren't eligible for an increase yet. Additionally, you do not have to wait 180 days to request an increase when auto increases are done by AMEX, though they seem to be rare and selective.

The one thing you can do to remedy that is move credit card lines around once you have reached 13 months. There is an exhaustive and complete thread on the 3X CLI and Credit line move options out there if you search.

Good luck and enjoy the AMEX cards! I got 4 cards in a 90 day period and did a 3X CLI from $5k to $15k on the Delta Gold. As you can see in my signatures below, I have staggered credit lines on my other three cards but am planning my next move for January request.

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 2 of 12
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@dallasareaguy wrote:

Hello,

The message is correct. You must wait 180 days from the date of an approved CLI that took place on any card. This rule then effects all cards you have with American Express. You have to then pick and choose where you want your increases if you have multiple cards. One further note. If you receive a decline on a request, you must wait 90 days before requesting another increase. Note: This does not include a decline because you ask too early on the 180 day part... it's not a true decline but rather a message letting you know that you aren't eligible for an increase yet. Additionally, you do not have to wait 180 days to request an increase when auto increases are done by AMEX, though they seem to be rare and selective.

The one thing you can do to remedy that is move credit card lines around once you have reached 13 months. There is an exhaustive and complete thread on the 3X CLI and Credit line move options out there if you search.

Good luck and enjoy the AMEX cards! I got 4 cards in a 90 day period and did a 3X CLI from $5k to $15k on the Delta Gold. As you can see in my signatures below, I have staggered credit lines on my other three cards but am planning my next move for January request.

Word of caution. If the OP decideds to do a consolidation, it will reset the CLI timer for all accounts again.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@dallasareaguy wrote:

Hello,

Word of caution. If the OP decideds to do a consolidation, it will reset the CLI timer for all accounts again.

I really appreciate both of your feedback! I learn something new around here just about daily! Thanks so much! 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep that is definitely how it works with Amex. I'm waiting a few more months to get my 2nd CLI, hopefully bringing ED to 24k
Message 5 of 12
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

6 months is right for the CLI on multiple cards.

Consolidation won't work because you're dealing with 3 different rewards structures between cashback / member rewards / co-brand.

Ideally starting out with a single card is what gets the higher CL's through the 3X process and then diversify or switch products with AMEX for the maximum benefit.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dallasareaguy wrote:

Hello,

dallasareaguy, do you know if the 3X CLI will still apply for the others when it gets to be their turn?

Message 7 of 12
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

You can do it.  One caveat though is depending on your new limits and the aggregate of them you may encounter the 4506 requets to verify your income. 

Message 8 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there!  I have 3 Amex cards that I got pretty recently after closing on our house:  the EveryDay, the Blue Cash, and the Hilton Honors.  I asked for CLI on the EveryDay for less than 3x because I didn't know you could do that, but now that I've been educated on that, and have had the other two cards for more than 60 days, I decided to try for 3x on the Blue Cash and it came back that, " We cannot increase the credit limit of a Card within six months of increasing the credit limit on another Amex Card."   What?????  Is that for real? What's everyone else's experience with this? How can I strategicly increase these if that's true?

Yes that's their rule. If you get a CLI on any Amex card you have to wait 6 months to get a CLI on that card or any other Amex card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dallasareaguy wrote:

Hello,

dallasareaguy, do you know if the 3X CLI will still apply for the others when it gets to be their turn?

Yes it will

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.