Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Card Combining

tag
CivalV
Established Contributor

Amex Card Combining

If I were to combine my cards to have one card with a solid limit would I be deemed ineligible for an increase on my accounts? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Card Combining

Do you mean trying to combine limits on cards within the same issuer and closing the other cards of that issuer? Or do you plan on leaving some limit on the "other" cards and asking for a CLI?

Most issuers are going to look at your total limit with them across all cards, by transfering buying power to a different card and leaving one with a smaller limit, wont necesarily make it any more likely to get a CLI on that one. That being said, I dont think it will necessarily make it any less likely either. If they deem you ok for the limit, you can probably move it around bewtween different cards with some issuers.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 2 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@CivalV wrote:

If I were to combine my cards to have one card with a solid limit would I be deemed ineligible for an increase on my accounts? 

Reallocating Amex limits (you can do this from one card to another card except for business-to-personal once in 30 days) does not reset cardholder-initiated CLI timers (181 days for approvals, 91 days for declines).

Message 3 of 8
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@CivalV wrote:

Reallocating Amex limits (you can do this from one card to another card except for business-to-personal once in 30 days) does not reset cardholder-initiated CLI timers (181 days for approvals, 91 days for declines).

And the donor card must be at least a year old, right? 

Message 4 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@CivalV wrote:

I've seen at least 1 instance before where someone claimed that the donor card was less than a year old but in general the 1 year mininum has been the case.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I have not personally had any issues since 2017 with the donor card being under a year old.  I have done it with every personal card I have obtained after SPG (now Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant) after meeting the Welcome Offer spending requirement.  And it looks like I did it 10 months after account opening when I moved $5000 from Marriott Bonvoy Business to Blue Business Plus.  It's possible it may be profile dependent and I seem to be in the "Amex is a little more lenient" category, so YMMV.

Message 6 of 8
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@CivalV  Which card are you targeting for the newly combined limit? Marriot Bonvoy? Others can correct me if I'm wrong here but, might it be best to move the credit to your low limit Hilton Honors? That card might bucketed with the low SL $1000 and if so, you might have a better chance of CLIs on the others assuming they started off with higher limits and less likely to be bucketed. Of course, card usage and AMEX profile will ultimately be the biggest influence. Good luck!! 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $205, 500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 20.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 7 of 8
SumMischief
Established Member

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@CivalV wrote:

I didn't know this was a thing. I saw posted in here you have the ability to relocate credit limits from one card to another. I gave it a shot on a card that was less than a year old. At the time it was about 6-7 months. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.