Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold

So I’ve been very on the fence about applying for the Amex gold and I went ahead and did it a week ago and got a pending message. It ended up being cancelled and no customer service rep could really tell me why but I think I need to verify my income which I’m prepared to do as I just got my W-2. I currently have a discover it student card with a 1000$ limit opened in 8/18 and an Amex blue cash with a limit of 1000$ opened in 11/18. My income is around 16000-18000 depending on how much grant money and allowance I get during different semesters but I usually make around 13000 from my job. My scores are currently all around 670-680. Should I reapply for Amex gold cause the categories fit my spend very well and if so, when should I reapply?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold

Welcome to My Fico.000welcome17.gif

Since you already have an Amex card, you can go to preapprovals while logged into your account and see if Gold is preapproved for you.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried a few times and everytime I do it just redirects to the tab where all credit and charge cards are listed 

Message 3 of 22
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have tried a few times and everytime I do it just redirects to the tab where all credit and charge cards are listed 

Hummm

I wonder if that means you're not yet preapproved for anything..

Have you tried doing an amex prequal without being logged in? Incognito mode ?

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes and it does the same thing. Since it was cancelled and not formally denied, do you think I should try to reapply soon perhaps while being logged out? 

Message 5 of 22
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Are your scores actual FICO scores?

They're not from Credit Karma or the like are they?

Also what is your uti on your current cards? Any derogs on your reports?

Those DPs will help to determine if you have a good chance for Gold.

Normally with a SL of $500-1000 Amex is testing the waters and wants to see a little use before granting another card.

But if your DPs are all good, perhaps they'll approve another card.. 

Their offers/preapproval tool not working is odd. Normally as an Amex holder you can get additional cards with no HP that way. 

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are FICO scores yes and 0 derogs and util is always below 10%

Message 7 of 22
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Well it seems to me like you would be a good candidate for the Gold.

That said, since they gave you a SL of $1000 on your first card, often it's recommended to wait a bit to build history before going for a second.

Perhaps somebody else will chime in with some extra insight.

To me it's a 50/50 chance. I'm still bothered by you not getting anything on the preapprovals page.

That's just strange to me.. It would be so much better if you were able to get the card to pop there, including the fact of no HP. 

I know you tried the prequal but what about just CC offers? 

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/?entryEEP=true&inav=menu_cards_pc_chargecreditcard

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

it brings up the same page with my blue cash card at the top and it says your card then next to it is the Amex gold and says new welcome offer and the hilton card next to that as well 

Message 9 of 22
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Ok good.

Click on the gold and see what it says there..

Expanding your membership is easy or you are already approved..

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.