Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex card question

tag
Swordfish20
Valued Member

Amex card question

I burned Amex in my 2013 BK. Recently got a prequal letter but when tried to apply was immediately denied (no HP) and letter came telling me I was denied because of previously closed accounts (aka blacklist). Wondering if getting a Hilton or Marriott Amex will help me rebuild trust with Amex or if Amex doesn't watch or care about those cards. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex card question

@Swordfish20 wrote:

I burned Amex in my 2013 BK. Recently got a prequal letter but when tried to apply was immediately denied (no HP) and letter came telling me I was denied because of previously closed accounts (aka blacklist). Wondering if getting a Hilton or Marriott Amex will help me rebuild trust with Amex or if Amex doesn't watch or care about those cards. 

im confused. You burned Amex in 2013 but have an Amex in your siggy?. I would think if you were on the bl, you couldnt get any Amex, included cobranded  such as Hilton or Marriot?

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct AJC. Amex blacklist covers all cards - they don't look at the cobranded cards as lesser in context of blacklisting. 

Message 3 of 17
Swordfish20
Valued Member

Corporate card in the siggy 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

When was the Green business card opened? 

Message 5 of 17
Swordfish20
Valued Member

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Amex's blacklist is 10 years correct? 

@Swordfish20 If this is the case, that might be at play.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous Amex's blacklist is 10 years correct? 

@Swordfish20 If this is the case, that might be at play.

Not necessarily - it depends on how you burned them. Some have been only a few years, some have been 20-25 years.

Message 8 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Swordfish20 wrote:

You wouldn't be able to get a Hilton or Marriott either because you're on the blacklist, which applies to all cards - legacy and cobranded.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting you got a business card with them after the "burn". 

It may be that they're only ok with you having business cards and not personal cards at this time.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.