Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex's 90 day rule not applying to me?

tag
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

Amex's 90 day rule not applying to me?

I know that none of Amex's CLI "rules" are set in stone and can vary. I was eligible for 3x cli a  month or so ago, and got denied for my numerous new accounts and inquiries- was not surprised. However, I pushed the cli button again recently and instead of just "recently denied a CLI request" as the reason, I got the full denial letter again AND the "recently denied a CLI request" wasn't even listed. I've pushed the luv button a few times since then (I am still not 90 days past first denial) and have gotten the same letter that doesn't mention the 90 days whatsoever. I guess this is really just an observation and not a question. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex's 90 day rule not applying to me?

Thanks for the data point.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnimatorProcrastinator wrote:

I know that none of Amex's CLI "rules" are set in stone and can vary. I was eligible for 3x cli a  month or so ago, and got denied for my numerous new accounts and inquiries- was not surprised. However, I pushed the cli button again recently and instead of just "recently denied a CLI request" as the reason, I got the full denial letter again AND the "recently denied a CLI request" wasn't even listed. I've pushed the luv button a few times since then (I am still not 90 days past first denial) and have gotten the same letter that doesn't mention the 90 days whatsoever. I guess this is really just an observation and not a question. 

Actually Amex's rules are not very flexible except for granting a 3X CLI when activating a new card if your profile supports it. The reason you keep getting the initial denial letter is because their computer is set up to automatically reject any request for a CLI until 90 days have elapsed from the date of the first denial.

Message 3 of 8
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

Right, but I have gotten these 'automatic' denials before and they have always mentioned the 90 days. All i'm saying is that these letters don't mention it at all.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't honestly think the lack of mention of the 91 days is very significant, simply because that interval is a well-known rule, essentially set in stone. Just wait til day 91 and hit the button.

Message 5 of 8
leo222
Contributor

Do you guys know if the 90 days resets each time you request? In other words if you apply for CLI, 30 days after initial denial, your total wait time (after initial) would be 120 days?

Message 6 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@leo222 wrote:

Do you guys know if the 90 days resets each time you request? In other words if you apply for CLI, 30 days after initial denial, your total wait time (after initial) would be 120 days?

No, because second denial would be for asking  too soon, hence not subject to 90 days wait 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ right, the clock resets upon granting of a CLI, or denial of one due to credit-related reasons.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.