Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Amex pre-qualify hoax?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another Amex pre-qualify hoax?

I’m on the Amex blacklist due to BK. Twice now I have had pre-qualify offers appear, only to be denied (no HP though). Checked again and it shows Green, BCE & Everyday. I don’t want either of the first two. I really want the Plat as I travel frequently for Biz and could use the lounge perks. The interesting thing is that it says up front no welcome offer or promo APR will be offered. Is it worth trying just to get in? I’m sure I’ll get the steps offer.

My TU just became completely clean due to EE...wonder if that’s helping? Can DH do a referral so we at least get something?

Looking for advice...thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another Amex pre-qualify hoax?

@Anonymous wrote:
I’m on the Amex blacklist due to BK. Twice now I have had pre-qualify offers appear, only to be denied (no HP though). Checked again and it shows Green, BCE & Everyday. I don’t want either of the first two. I really want the Plat as I travel frequently for Biz and could use the lounge perks. The interesting thing is that it says up front no welcome offer or promo APR will be offered. Is it worth trying just to get in? I’m sure I’ll get the steps offer.

My TU just became completely clean due to EE...wonder if that’s helping? Can DH do a referral so we at least get something?

How long ago was the BK?  If less than 5 years, you probably will still be denied.  In reality though it doesn’t hurt to try because if you are in their blacklist then they won’t do a HP as before. Give it a try and see what happens.  Good luck

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup...still a hoax. I tried to app via DH referral link for BCE...denied. Then tried Everday thru pre-approval...denied. Oh well, one day I’ll stop getting my hopes up with these pre-approvals. My bk file date is over 6 years old so they just have to decide when I come off the blacklist I suppose.
Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IMHO the Amex Platinum card is not that hard to get. I think it's the easiest of the 3 you mention.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 7
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How much was AmEx burnt with the BK?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add my data points on this....

I defaulted on AMEX over 10 years ago...about 45k.  no BK.  Just lived thru it.  I apped for the Blue Cash Preferred about 6 months ago and denied with no HP...BLACKLISTED.  A month ago, I checked the prequal site and I was prequalified for the Everyday cards.  So I thought...hmm...maybe for the Preferred it's a no but they will let me know with the basic.  The other day did a prequal through Credit Karma I think? and it said NO prequal on anything.   This coming week I am doing an app spree and am going to go on AMEX prequal site and if prequalified, will app for The BCE.  But I have had a sinking feeling it will be a blacklist denial from a false prequal.  But we will see.  no harm in trying since blacklist there is no HP.  Bottom line is that I do suspect there is a glitch in their prequal regarding blacklisted people who have great credit.  The other lesson to the story is that if you think you will be clear of the blacklist in 5, 6, 10 years....think again.  I am coming up on 11 years and still blacklisted unless something good happens this week.  I have 775 EX with 9% util and no negatives.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex continues to build me up & let me down. This am another pre-qual offer appeared. This time PRG with the 50k bonus after $1k spend. I really got excited about this one. But alas...instant denial again. I’ll keep trying, one day they’ll crack!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.