Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any alternatives to BCP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any alternatives to BCP?

New here, just have a question.

I'm looking to apply for the Amex BCP sometime soon. In the process of lowering my utilization, and raising my score. This would be my first amex and I feel it's the card that's made for someone like me.

I'm just wondering, if im not approved for it, what are similar cards out there that I can apply for? I currently have an Apple Card, and two capital one cards that I don't care to use anymore. I'd mostly likely use on the BCP and Apple Card.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Any alternatives to BCP?

Do you want BCP for the grocery category, streaming, or both?

The new Citi Custom Cash has 5% on first $500 in 1 category each month. It defaults to category with highest spend. Both groceries and streaming are an option.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking to apply for the Amex BCP sometime soon. In the process of lowering my utilization, and raising my score. This would be my first amex and I feel it's the card that's made for someone like me.

I'm just wondering, if im not approved for it, what are similar cards out there that I can apply for? I currently have an Apple Card, and two capital one cards that I don't care to use anymore. I'd mostly likely use on the BCP and Apple Card.

Thanks.

Have you tried Discover?   At least you can check the pre qual site to see if you would get it or not without a hard pull.  

Message 3 of 11
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Is 5% cash back or points, how does it work?

Message 4 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:

Is 5% cash back or points, how does it work?

With the Citi Custom Cash credit card you earn points for your spend which can now be redeems for 1cpp in either statement credits or even deposited to your checking/savings account

Message 5 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure what kind of capacity you're needing but PNC Cash Rewards offers a 4-3-2-1 card.
Message 6 of 11
Eyepinpools
Regular Contributor

Maybe the USBank cash+ or Elan maxx cash? I believe they both offer 5% up to 1.5k per quarter with no AF. 

Message 7 of 11
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Eyepinpools wrote:

Maybe the USBank cash+ or Elan maxx cash? I believe they both offer 5% up to 1.5k per quarter with no AF. 

I have both of those cards and neither offers Groceries as a 5% category, just as a 2% category. Both do have streaming as a 5% category, but how much does one typically spend on streaming? I have my 5% set to utilities and cellular on those cards - I live in a rural area where cellular is my best option for internet and have 3 celluar services to spread the data usage around.

I had a BCP for a year for the $250 bonus for upgrading my BCE, but downgraded it this year back to BCE, the $95 AF wasn't worth it as I buy most groceries at Walmart, which doesn't work for BCP 6%. For the OP, unless you have a large family and spend a ton on groceries I'd look elsewhere for card. Discover card gives you one quarter of 5% groceries, and this quarter I'm also getting 5% on Walmart as I'm using the PayPal Mastercard "key" in my Walmart Pay app, giving me 5% on Disco.   

Message 8 of 11
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.

I see you have some good replies - I have another option for you if you are a Verizon Wireless customer: The Verizon Visa. You don't get $ per se', but you get Verizon points which is 1:1 and go go towards your Verizon bill or Verizon purchases. Currently its 4% CB for groceries AND Gas.

Potential Future Cards
Message 9 of 11
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If you can get in to NFCU, the More Rewards is 3% on groceries, dining and gas, no AF and no caps.

One of the best cards around, IMHO.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.