Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any new 5(+)/24 approvals lately? Update - Chase 5/24 still very alive

tag
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

Any new 5(+)/24 approvals lately? Update - Chase 5/24 still very alive

Right after Thanksgiving it was reported by Credit Shifuu and some on this board, they they had successful approvals being over 5/24 on some of the Chase co-branded cards. United Explorer, SWA, and Amazon seemed to have been less restrictive and some were getting approved. 

I haven't really read any new approvals since the New Year. I'd like to apply for the United card, but I'm at 5/24 and won't be under until the summer. 

JR
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Any new 5(+)/24 approvals lately ?

Bypassing the 5/24 is certainly possible on the cards you mentioned.

The real question is, how lucky do you feel?   .. it is certainly a YEMV situation.

Might be best to go into a branch and see if you have any of those Pre-Approved?

Message 2 of 27
jcooks
Established Contributor

Aren't in-branch preapprovals only for non cobranded cards?

And, it's Ben Hedges now, no more credit shifu :/ I enjoyed his videos, not sure the approach on other things as those don't interest me.  I guess time will tell.

Message 3 of 27
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

Yes. I thought in branch was only for the Chase core cards. You are correct, Guess he's going by Ben now. 

JR
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the Chase Amazon card mid December while being 12/24 and not showing any offers with their pre-approval link. 

I do have a banking relationship and another cc with them. $150 gift card bonus was too hard to pass up before the holidays.

Message 5 of 27
RDO
Contributor

@JLRDC909 wrote:

Right after Thanksgiving it was reported by Credit Shifuu and some on this board, they they had successful approvals being over 5/24 on some of the Chase co-branded cards. United Explorer, SWA, and Amazon seemed to have been less restrictive and some were getting approved. 

I haven't really read any new approvals since the New Year. I'd like to apply for the United card, but I'm at 5/24 and won't be under until the summer. 

I was just approved for the flex while sitting at 5/24 for 14K.  Was gonna be at 4/24 in February. 

Amex Gold NSPL / Amex CS Platinum NSPL /
Amex BCE $30.6k / Amex Hilton Surpass $10k /
Amex Delta Gold $9.7k / Amex BBP $6k /
Amex Bonvoy Business $10k / C1 QS $3.2k /
C1 Venture X $19.5k / C1 Kohls $5k/
Chase unlimited $4k / Chase Sapphire $21.8k /
Chase Flex $16.8k / verizon visa $8k / Citi CCC $500 / Wells Fargo Slumberland $4.8k
max cash preferred $3k / chase prime visa $20K
Message 6 of 27
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

@JLRDC909 wrote:
...I'd like to apply for the United card, but I'm at 5/24 and won't be under until the summer. 

If I were you, I'd apply and see what happens. DPs are showing many successes for Chase cobranded cards while at or over 5/24. In November 2021 I got the IHG Premier while I was at 6/24.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 7 of 27
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

Chase 5/24 still very alive

Today I decided to try for the United Explorer card. I'm right at 5/24 and will be under (3/24) in July, thought that I would test the waters to see what others have said about being 5/24+ and being approved for Amazon. United, and Southwest. 

Applcation spun round and round and the dreaded 7-10 day (denial) showed up. I knew that I would not get approved. I never have the luck of some being approved over 5/24. 

But I decided to call recon and see what (if anything) could be done. Although the estimated wait time was 1 minute it was nearly 30. However, if I were to ever be declined, it was possibly by the nicest and most knowledgeable agent I could have ever had. 

Started off with the "text to verify identity". So she told me I was declined due to aggressive credit seeking. I played dumb. She said if you are 5/24 or over 5/24 the computer automatically picks that up and declined the application. She told me "I can take a look at the application and manually look at it". I was on hold for 2-3 minutes. She came back and told me that past 5 accounts I had opened. Looking at a regular CR, this would take a long time but she told me on their end it's highlighted. She told me the issuers and the dates opened. I asked her if it was not for 5/24 would she have approved and she said she would have made the recommendation to approve the application. 

she did tell me that Chase counts the full 24 months. If you opened an account on 1/1/2020 and another one 1/30/2020 that they would both age off on 2/2/2022 that it would not be 1/1/2022 and 1/30/2022. She told me to be mindful of that when I apply under 24. 

Some DPs:  All scores are hovering near 800. TU is the lowest at 789

July puts me 3/24. 

total available credit $200,000

Inq: TU:1, EQ:3 with current United application and EX: 8. 

annual income $95k

pay off cards monthly:  current debt $1000, <than 1%. 

So the 5/24 seems to still be alive and breathing 

JR
Message 8 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase 5/24 still very alive

It never really died. They simply relaxed some of the algorithms for specific profiles and were more selective about who would be approved. Most folks assumed 5/24 would be gone with the recent flurry of >5/24 approvals, especially with some Amazon Visa far fetched conspiracy theories, but there were just as many denials as well.

Message 9 of 27
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase 5/24 still very alive

Absolutely. Living proof here !

JR
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.