Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Timeline for Amex?

tag
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Application Timeline for Amex?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be re-prioritizing my earning strategy moving forward to focus on MR. As a result, I'd like to apply for the Gold Amex, Platinum Amex and the EDP. Wanted to get this board's perspective on when I should apply for these cards as I don't want to spook Amex or invite the hassle of an FR. Am I ok to do so right now, or do I need to space this out? 

My scores are currently ~750 across all 3 bureaus, utilization at 3%. 

Some exenuating circumstances:

1. I just leased a vehicle. Not sure if apping for more credit after this will make Amex nervous. 

2. My credit will need to be run again soon as I am currently in the hunt for a new apartment. 

3. I currently have the Amex Delta Platinum and the SPG Luxury. I know there is some kind of limit regarding how many cards I can have. Will I need to cancel one of these? 

Appreciate your help, happy holidays!

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Application Timeline for Amex?

How long have you had your existing Amex cards?

If you have had those for a bare minimum of several months then:

Given that you have listed wanting 2 charge charges and one revolver, you can likely get all three quickly but:

1. Consider spacing out applications so that you can achieve sign up bonus spending for each card,

2. If we were having this discussion a few weeks ago I would have said get the Platinum first so that you can get airline credit this year, but down to the wire for that now.

Airline credits are calendar year not card membership year.

Since timing is challenging for the airline credit, consider starting with the Gold since the  dining sub is scheduled to go away Jan. 9, 2019.

Message 2 of 4
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response and highlighting the credit situation with the Platinum!

I’ve had the Delta Amex since 2012, SPG since 2015. I upgraded to the SPG luxury for the 100k bonus offer this August.
Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 3 of 4
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@mjb59463 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be re-prioritizing my earning strategy moving forward to focus on MR. As a result, I'd like to apply for the Gold Amex, Platinum Amex and the EDP. Wanted to get this board's perspective on when I should apply for these cards as I don't want to spook Amex or invite the hassle of an FR. Am I ok to do so right now, or do I need to space this out? 

My scores are currently ~750 across all 3 bureaus, utilization at 3%. 

Some exenuating circumstances:

1. I just leased a vehicle. Not sure if apping for more credit after this will make Amex nervous. 

2. My credit will need to be run again soon as I am currently in the hunt for a new apartment. 

3. I currently have the Amex Delta Platinum and the SPG Luxury. I know there is some kind of limit regarding how many cards I can have. Will I need to cancel one of these? 

Appreciate your help, happy holidays!

1. Probably not. Do you know how many HPs you took?

2. They usually do a softpull. Usually. 

3. The limit is on credit cards (max is usually 4-6, profile depending) not charge cards

Since Amex has the once in a lifetime bonus rule, I'd try to get the 100K MRs for the Platinum card, the 50K MRs for the gold and the 25K MRs for the EDP. As someone else has mentioned, that's a lot of SUB to meet to get the bonus MRs. If you can do it in the allowed time, cool. I'd still app for one card every two weeks, at the soonest. Personally, I'd do one app a month. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.