Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for CSP or wait?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for CSP or wait?

Hello all, 

Some background info. I'm considering applying for the CSP card, I was approved for the CSR card back in January but it's my only chase card. I want the combo of the CSR, CFU, and Chase Freedom card(the trifecta) but I figured instead of just going for the Freedom card next, why not just go for the CSP card and get the 50K bonus points then do a product change to the CFU next year? 

I thought I was at 5/24 when I checked the chase website it says I'm 4/24. I opened 4 cards of my own with in the last year and a half and I'm an authorized user on one of my friend's cards. I thought this had put me at 5/24 but I just realized they go by the date my friend opened that account which was over 10 years ago, so I should be good to get another chase card before January of next year. I've been rebuilding my credit the last year and a half my fico scores are EX 696, TU 732, EX 747 and my annual income is about $55,000.00 I also have a chase savings and checking account.

Question is since I opened the CSR in January should I wait until July(6 months after opening the CSR) or am I good to apply now?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for CSP or wait?

Chase doesn't have a 6 month rule like others. They might not approve for 2 cards in the same month, but if you applied in January you should be ok
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you and I'm good on the 5/24 rule since the card I'm the AU on was opened in 2006 right?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check your credit report to see what the AU account looks like. If it looks like you've had it since the account was open years ago then chase won't be able to see anything different.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked it, on my credit report it says opened since 2006.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went ahead and applied for the Sapphire Preferred just now. Instantly approved for a CL of 13k, this now puts me at 5/24. Will do my PC next year and in January I'll be 4/24 again.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 7 of 11
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Watch the My offers section of your Chase account.  I started with a Freedom in Feb. '16 and have since added and FU and CSP while being over 5/24

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I went ahead and applied for the Sapphire Preferred just now. Instantly approved for a CL of 13k, this now puts me at 5/24. Will do my PC next year and in January I'll be 4/24 again.

Nice, congrats.  Are you planning on doing the PC right before the AF hits on the CSP?  I grabbed the CSP about 2 weeks ago for the same reason as you, the 50k points, plus I know the SL would be higher on that card than the Freedom which is the card I want to PC it to at some point.  I was approved for $18,400, so mission accomplished there... I've just heard of different opinions on when to PC the card.  Some have done it fairly early on, some after the account is 6 months old, others right before the AF hits.  Just wondering your plan here.  I'll probably play it safe and ride it out almost the full year and make the switch just before the AF hits.  If I happen to get a CLI from Chase between month 4 and 6 and get the feeling that they "like" me, perhaps I'll do it a bit sooner, maybe around month 7-8. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guy, hey EAJuggalo I check my offers everyday just in case.  I meant to come back here and add that my friend convinced me to apply for the Freedom card 15 minutes later after getting the CSP card. I was instantly approved for the CF for a $9.5k Sl. He's been shut down about 4 or 5 times by chase by trying to PC his CSP to a CFU card.  I planned on waiting on until right before the annual fee hits before trying to do the PC but I will at least make an attempt around the 4-6 month mark and see what happens. Also if I get the green check for my offers the CFU pops up I might not budge because then I won't have anything to PC the CSP to unless I want to have two CF cards. What do you guys think about having two CF cards?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.