Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for 2nd Discover Card?

tag
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Applying for 2nd Discover Card?

I called Discover because my account was locked, had to do with my password. My first year anniversary is on May 25th, is it better to apply for 2nd card after the anniversary date or before "the representative told me I can do it anytime"  I have zero balance and no interest charges for the whole year. Are there any rules I should be aware of for applying for a second card. Your views are appreciated and thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Applying for 2nd Discover Card?

@AyaMai wrote:

I called Discover because my account was locked, had to do with my password. My first year anniversary is on May 25th, is it better to apply for 2nd card after the anniversary date or before "the representative told me I can do it anytime"  I have zero balance and no interest charges for the whole year. Are there any rules I should be aware of for applying for a second card. Your views are appreciated and thank you in advance.

If it were me, I would probably wait until the other card turns 1 since it's so close. 

You can apply anytime you like though.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Did you check the prequal tool? If you're prequaled there, then you're more than likely good to go. Disco is pretty reliable. Personally I see no need to wait for that 12-mo mark, but of course it's your choice.

Good luck!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 9
Trini88
Established Contributor

I believe you can apply after having your card for 13 months. I would wait till your 13th statement cuts and then see if you prequalify. 

Goal Cards:
Message 4 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I waited the entire year. Got the 2cd card. $0 balance on the open one. Went thru the cash back match with more ways to get as much as I could. Then combined them.

Message 5 of 9
collics
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I waited the entire year. Got the 2cd card. $0 balance on the open one. Went thru the cash back match with more ways to get as much as I could. Then combined them.

Wow, I've had this card for 8 years and didn't even know you could have more than one, let alone combine them.

Storing this info for the future. lol

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 6 of 9
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

I've read that you have to wait a year.  CSR will sometimes tell you that you can apply at any time even if they know it will fail, like if you get denied for a card and the CSR says "You can apply again at any time!" as though tomorrow will be a different story.  It's just a line.

I just applied for my 5th Discover It card this morning.  After the cash back match year was up on my first one, I applied for a second.  After that cash back match year was up, I canceled the 2nd card and applied for another.  Been repeating that process every year.  So far, so good. 

As to whether you really need to wait a year, I'm not sure.  It's just what I read, and what I followed.  But you might as well finish your cash back match year before you open another card unless you're already maxing out the 5% categories with the first card.   

Message 7 of 9
collics
Established Contributor

@dlister70 wrote:

I just applied for my 5th Discover It card this morning.  After the cash back match year was up on my first one, I applied for a second.  After that cash back match year was up, I canceled the 2nd card and applied for another.  Been repeating that process every year.  So far, so good. 

Wow Smiley Surprised

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 8 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Just a FYI,  Discover on occasion can request 4506 forms for some members when going for a second card.  We have seen a plethora of dps of this happening the last couple years so though it may not happen, it is possible. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.