Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a CC Before Moving

tag
RyeBread
Established Member

Applying for a CC Before Moving

Hey All,

With the announcement of the iPhone 13 a few days away, I am looking to apply for either the Apple Card, or a cash-back card of some sort. However, the lease on my apartment ends in about two months, and I may be apartment hunting.

I know that hard inquiries drag your score down, but I have zero inquiries on my reports, and my credit score is 800+ across all bureaus.

Would applying for a CC be an issue?

Current Score: EQ (Citi FICO) (3/23): 831, EX (Amex FICO) (4/23): 820, TU (Discover): 800

~$138k total CL, ~1% utilized
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Applying for a CC Before Moving

If you don't anticipate moving for the next two months, then you should be fine with applying using your current address.  If you apply for one or two cards, 1 or 2 inquiries shouldn't be a huge impact (FICO scores-wise and depending on the CRA that's used). It's the new accounts (once they report) that will have more weight since it will impact your AAoA.

One the one hand, you can see if you can be pre-approved for the Apple Card without any impacts to your scores by using the Apple Cart 'Trick' or via Apple Wallet (at least to gauge what SL you could be approved for).  If you are looking for cash back, then you can determine which other card (if you are looking for a decent SUB) may be the right fit your spending habits and/or lifestyle.

Message 2 of 3
RyeBread
Established Member

Re: Applying for a CC Before Moving

The Apple cart trick?

I would have no problem doing this, but I'm concerned that I'll end up getting a backorder if I try to apply when pre-orders launch. My current phone is on its last legs.

Current Score: EQ (Citi FICO) (3/23): 831, EX (Amex FICO) (4/23): 820, TU (Discover): 800

~$138k total CL, ~1% utilized
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.