cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these Barclay's credit application questions odd?

tag
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Are these Barclay's credit application questions odd?

So I applied for the Uber Visa and the decision was not instant so i called in to check on app status. While I know Barclays is risk-adverse, they ask a few questions during their app review with me that was out of the ordinary for me as I've never had any financial institutions (othe than during mortgage process) ask questions about accounts in my profile.

They asked me:

• How was the installment loan used?
  • Why was I over the limit on one of my credit cards?
  • What type of spending do I put on my credit cards?
  • She started to ask why there was a gap in my credit history then she stopped herself when she noticed there was no gap. Prior to a month ago I hadn't opened any new personal accounts since 2013.

So maybe that's what she was going to ask about but heck between 2012-2013 I opened about 8 accounts so when I went into the gardening, clearly I fell into a pothole.  

Anyway, anyone else encounter these types of questions? My application is still in the decisioning phase so I'll update once they tell  me.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are these Barclay's credit application questions odd?

These questions are totally normal. If your app goes to underwriting their job is to probe into things the algorithms flagged or things they are trained to scrutinize . I have only had to deal with this once and the questions were similar. They even asked me about things not on my report. For example I had some inquiries from car shopping but my loan was not on the report yet. They asked:

did you get approved? Which lender? What is the loan amount? What is your monthly payment?

asking why you went over your limit is legit imo.

Message 2 of 6
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

You might have dodged a bullet. It's not that great of a card anymore IMO. Are you looking for UberCash instead of the previous dining/travel/etc Cashback? Or is that what you want?

Message 3 of 6
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Thanks @morpho!

Good to know. As I said, I know they are risk adverse so while I was expecting questions; but I also wasn’t expecting questions! Just caught me off guard.

They are inquiry and new account sensitive but the ‘almost question’ about gap in credit history threw me. Make up your mind financial institutions..either you ding us for opening too much or not enough credit but you can’t have it both ways!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like she was only one step away from putting on the latex gloves...

Message 5 of 6
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@Janus,

You are perfectly reading my mind!! LOL

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.