cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Travel Rewards application & Recon denied.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA Travel Rewards application & Recon denied.

I applied early this month for a Bank Of America Travel Rewards card and was denied due to my credit history being too new and due to my high credit card balances. I called the recon line and asked to be reconsidered since I had drastically reduced the debt on the high balance card (my credit report was updated the day after I applied) and although my credit history is not extensive enough (the first credit card I got was in March 2018 and I took out my first student loan in 2015), I told the representative that I was an extremely responsible card holder, having never made any late payments on any of my accounts.  The representative  reconsidered my application using the old credit report (he told me he'd have to do a hard pull to see the reduced credit card balance) and denied my application because of the length of my credit history. Is there anything else I can do? Like write a recon letter instead? My FICO score is 716. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BOA Travel Rewards application & Recon denied.

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, any reconsideration decision is final.  And, while you may have presented a good rebuttal, any correspondence you may send will yield the same results.  It sounds like building a bit of revolving history might be helpful should you decide to apply again at some point.

How many other revolving accounts do you currently have?  What are the limits and age?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar:

1. Macys: $2,000 - March 2018

2. Best Buy: $1,500 - December 2018

3. The Children's Place: $500 - May 2019

4. Bob's Furniture (WF): $3,600 - January 2020

5. Discover: $5500 - July 2020

Message 3 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar:

1. Macys: $2,000 - March 2018

2. Best Buy: $1,500 - December 2018

3. The Children's Place: $500 - May 2019

4. Bob's Furniture (WF): $3,600 - January 2020

5. Discover: $5500 - July 2020

Ok, thanks for the additional information.

Interpreting the short history is likely referring to the absence of established history of major bank cards, such as Discover, for instance.  While the other [retail] tradelines may support your overall profile, banks like to see a mix of major bank cards as well.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.