Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blispay Denied - Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blispay Denied - Help

Applied for the Blispay Visa a few days ago. Called in this morning and the CSR said I was denied because they were unable to "verify info on the application". I said "okay what do you need help verifying I can certainly help with verifying anything". The CSR then said it was already denied and I was not able to send in any verification documents to verify adress. I moved about a month ago so I knew the adress might not have updated on the credit reports yet, but this hasn't been a problem for other lenders in the past (chase, cap1 etc) after a move once I have talked to them. In fact Chase sent a card to my old and new address once and then cancelled the one that was sent to the old address.

I then asked to talk to a supervisor and offered to send in utility bill, copy of liscence etc. and she said once the application is run through their system and something doesn't match there is nothing that can be done. I even said that if I was approved they could send it to the address listed on the credit report and hopefully it would get forwarded to my new address. In the end the supervisor wasn't able to do anything and told me to apply again in 6 months. What's even worse is she hinted that it would have been approved had it not been for the address. 

What's really aggravating is that they never contacted me asking to verify anything and then when I offer to send in documents to verify anything that is necessary they say "we don't do that". Very frustrating.

Any advice on how I could get this decison overturned or who to talk to? Has this happened to anyone else?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Blispay Denied - Help

So sorry this happened to you, OP. Blispay is a new organization and I am thinking they probably do not have all their "ducks in a row." You may even want to try in three months. Be sure the credit bureaus have your correct address before you do. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for the Blispay Visa a few days ago. Called in this morning and the CSR said I was denied because they were unable to "verify info on the application". I said "okay what do you need help verifying I can certainly help with verifying anything". The CSR then said it was already denied and I was not able to send in any verification documents to verify adress. I moved about a month ago so I knew the adress might not have updated on the credit reports yet, but this hasn't been a problem for other lenders in the past (chase, cap1 etc) after a move once I have talked to them. In fact Chase sent a card to my old and new address once and then cancelled the one that was sent to the old address.

I then asked to talk to a supervisor and offered to send in utility bill, copy of liscence etc. and she said once the application is run through their system and something doesn't match there is nothing that can be done. I even said that if I was approved they could send it to the address listed on the credit report and hopefully it would get forwarded to my new address. In the end the supervisor wasn't able to do anything and told me to apply again in 6 months. What's even worse is she hinted that it would have been approved had it not been for the address. 

What's really aggravating is that they never contacted me asking to verify anything and then when I offer to send in documents to verify anything that is necessary they say "we don't do that". Very frustrating.

Any advice on how I could get this decison overturned or who to talk to? Has this happened to anyone else?

Very simiar thing happened to me when they first started with their apps.  Said they denied me because they could not verify identity.  Offered to send  documents, etc and was told they didn't need them.  Called back and talked to another area who said all they could do was re-send it to the app department which would have done nothing to correct the issue in my opinion.  I thanked them and moved on.  I am sure they lost some potentially good cusotmers because of minor glitches in the credit reporting info that could be cleared up easily but they are not willing to do so.  I am who I am not matter what the bureaus report and I can prove it when someone allows me to do so.  They probably have more interest and apps than they need so they are not motivated to do anythiing extra to get customers right now.

Good luck to you.  There are some other excellent CC products out there if you are not locked in to obtaining Blispay.

Message 3 of 24
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So sorry this happened to you, OP. Blispay is a new organization and I am thinking they probably do not have all their "ducks in a row." You may even want to try in three months. Be sure the credit bureaus have your correct address before you do. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Why I got my recent two cards in April, making some changes, including moving.  And I agree.  I am hesitant to sign up for FOTM cards, especially new ones.  Smiley Wink 

Sorry, wait and try again.

Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 24
Aahz
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear of your problems, but I don't really find them surprising.

Needing to do additional verification for an applicant costs a bank money.  Blispay is saving money everywhere they can in order to offer the wonderful rewards they do.  It's not a matter of not having their ducks in a row or being unable to provide such services.  It's a business choice to not spend their resources on such things.

Comparing what they're willing to do to gain a customer to what big banks are willing to do is never going to fare well.  They aren't Chase and aren't trying to be.

While you (and others who have had problems) have my sympathy I'd much prefer Blispay keep offering the rewards & benefits they offer then they spend that money to build out all of the infrastructure required to service a relatively small portion of the population with problems such as yours.

Message 5 of 24
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Aahz wrote:

Needing to do additional verification for an applicant costs a bank money.  Blispay is saving money everywhere they can in order to offer the wonderful rewards they do.  It's not a matter of not having their ducks in a row or being unable to provide such services.  It's a business choice to not spend their resources on such things.

Comparing what they're willing to do to gain a customer to what big banks are willing to do is never going to fare well.  They aren't Chase and aren't trying to be.

While you (and others who have had problems) have my sympathy I'd much prefer Blispay keep offering the rewards & benefits they offer then they spend that money to build out all of the infrastructure required to service a relatively small portion of the population with problems such as yours.

Not sure I agree with your "I got mine" mind set - Government and private studies estimate that overr 20% of credit reports contain errors and the general public is much less aware of this than dedicated sites like this one. If a new lender is going to be widely accepted, and at the same time not run into lawsuits as to selective acceptance - other than the obvious income, credit scores, etc. I think they have to look for the weak links in their "infrastructure" if in fact they are unable to "verify" 20% of the population.

Lenders can always come up with justification for their actions, think real estate red-lining and suing in low income areas because most suits won't be challeged, but I don't really think a new company that is trying to gain market share is interested in shortcuts, especially since the founders of Blispay are not exactly new to the game - just the new brand.

Yeah there will be growing pains where they work out the issues that pop up, but rejecting 65 million possible customers because they moved, or changed phone numbers or changed their name, etc etc doesn't seem to me to be smart business. Of course we don't know all the details of why this app was rejected, just what was reported by one side and subsquently reported here.  

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aahz wrote:

Thanks for your sympathy.   More power to the large population of happy Blispay customers such as you.  And I hope for the original poster's sake he/she can eventually rise above the small portion of the population and become a happy Blispay customer.  

Message 7 of 24
Aahz
Established Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

Not sure I agree with "I got mine" mind set - Government and private studies estimate that overr 20% of credit reports contain errors and the general public is much less aware of this than dedicated sites like this one. If a new lender is going to be widely accepted, and at the same time not run into lawsuits as to selective acceptance - other than the obvious income, credit scores, etc. I think they have to look for the weak links in their "infrastructure" if in fact they are unable to "verify" 20% of the population.

Lenders can always come up with justification for their actions, think real estate red-lining and suing in low income areas because most suits won't be challeged, but I don't really think a new company that is trying to gain market share is interested in shortcuts, especially since the founders of Blispay are not exactly new to the game - just the new brand.

Yeah there will be growing pains where they work out the issues that pop up, but rejecting 65 million possible customers because they moved, or changed phone numbers or changed their name, etc etc doesn't seem to me to be smart business. Of course we don't know all the details of why this app was rejected, just what was reported by one side and subsquently reported here.  

I don't suppose you have a source for Blispay being unable to verify 20% of their applicants or rejecting 65 million people.  If so, it would be much appreciated.  I'd be shocked if they'd had even 6 million apps thus far.  Especially considering cards with large promotional budgets and mailers such as the Barclay Ring generate fewer than 3000 apps per month (according to the Ring Blog).

Blispay has never expressed a desire to approve everyone.  That's not their business model.  They are designed as a niche card.  And a lawsuit on "selective acceptance" due to inability to verify sounds preposterous to me.  Has there ever been such a suit?

Message 8 of 24
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Aahz - you are welcome to your point of view and I'm trying to discuss the subject at hand so I'm not going to get into a personal debate.

Population 320 million, 20+% = 65 million +/- that have errors on their reports (you can google this, it's widely reported). 

You think there have never been lawsuits over redlining or perceived discrimination having to do with internal lending standards ?  

You are right about one thing though, its JUST business to any lender they don't give a tinkers dram about you or me - it does make for good marketing though. 

Message 9 of 24
Aahz
Established Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Aahz - you are welcome to your point of view and I'm trying to discuss the subject at hand so I'm not going to get into a personal debate.

Population 320 million, 20+% = 65 million +/- that have errors on their reports (you can google this, it's widely reported). 

You think there have never been lawsuits over redlining or perceived discrimination having to do with internal lending standards ?  

You are right about one thing though, its JUST business to any lender they don't give a tinkers dram about you or me - it does make for good marketing though. 

Nothing personal here, Pipe.  I'm debating your "facts", not attacking you.

Just because 65 million people have errors on their reports doesn't mean those people are being denied Blispay accounts.  Even the OP didn't get denied because of an error.  S/He moved and didn't give enough time for their reports to update.

And ability to verify is not an "internal lending standard".  It's completely standardized and objective.  What descrimination do you think there possibly is to sue about?

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.