Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Cash rewards Denial with recon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA Cash rewards Denial with recon

I tried for BoA Cash Rewards, I tried before to get a relationship with BoA but I can't get anything in that regard. When I recon'd the operator told me that the inquiries on my account were the only reason for denial. 

29 inquries on EX which was the only one they pulled, in past 2 years (mixture of moving twice, student loans, credit cards and jobs)

EX: 738 

EQ: 725 

TU: 685 (balance on a paid off credit card didn't reflect yet)

13% utilization (will become 2% this friday when I pay off an account) 

Total CL: 20k 

Oldest account 6 years, newest account (fidelity) 4 months.

23 Y.O.A. with 65k/year job now. 

I don't know how to overcome inquries other than going into the 'garden' for 2 years or getting creditors to pull from the other 2, feeling frustrated. Any advice? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: BoA Cash rewards Denial with recon

Head into the garden, at least with BOA. Do you bank with BOA? that can go along way to helping you get on board with them.

The number of inquires is pretty high even for over a 2 year period.
Iv'e been in the garden for a number of years it's not so bad.
I get the odd CLI once in a while to make me feel good about things.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guess I'm going to have to go to the garden. I don't bank with BoA since they dont have good sign up bonuses, where as chase gave me $300 recently to sign up. Even their lowest tier account has a fee attached to it. 

I've been thinking about doing one last app to Barclays for their Uber card (I dine and travel a lot for work), and even with a denial I ask to move credit line from my existing Barclays card to Uber, Good Idea or no?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays is known to be new account/inquiry sensitive as well. 

Garden for 6 months or so to give your profile a break. 

Message 4 of 7
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclays is known to be new account/inquiry sensitive as well. 

Garden for 6 months or so to give your profile a break. 

+1 to this.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 5 of 7
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

The trick for sign up bonuses with Bank of America is to open a Merrill Edge Account - put like $100 deposit...   call request your free checks and debit card for the Edge CMA account.   

Within 3 months you should have a bonus offer available for a BOA Banking Relationship (Usually $300 opening bonus).

Message 6 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sometimes the only thing that will help is time. In this case (excessive inquiries) all you can really do is let your profile cool off for awhile and let some of the inquiries drop off. 29 is a large amount of inquiries by most standards. Yes, here are people around here with more than that who sometimes continue to get approvals, but generally speaking I have noticed banks tightening up and not handing out approvals as readily to those who are aggressive in seeking credit.

I think with the lenders tightening up, and with your profile being unstable at the moment with the inquiries, it's best to just sit on the sidelines with what you have and let things chill for 6-12 months minimum.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.