Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boyfriend's First CC!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boyfriend's First CC!

Hello All, 

Trying to help my boyfriend out as we graduate in May and he has no credit, while I have 7 CCs.. anyway. It's a tossup between Discover It and Apple Card, I have both and (BoA, Capitol One, Target, Victoria Secret, Amazon Prime). He wants one that I already have and honestly I do too. What do you think is the best for new credit? 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Mv350
Valued Contributor

Re: Boyfriend's First CC!

Have him try the prequal for discover. If he needs to start with a secured card, that one would at least graduate in a reasonable amount of time. Who does he bank with?

Message 2 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover....Apple is too niche in my opinion. More for people who are ingrained in Apple culture but usually already have ccs. 

Message 3 of 25
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Id be tempted to go for both.. but not quite at the same time....

Did your SO file taxes last year? ... Discover has been requesting tax forms somewhat frequently on new accounts,esp secured and they have to be close to whats on the form, not what they are currently making... or expect to make this year..  No HHI here.. 

Im actually a fan of Discovers secured offering but this change in policy does make me hesitate a bit, esp with the current economic climate but I think its a good card esp for new/thin credit... 

Since the SO is in school, id definitely app as a student and I think would be less likely to run into issues, such as listed above.... and less likely to offer you a secured card.... Limit might top out on the lowish side, but id let it ride for now .. Discover uses enhanced scoring on student accounts which is for people with no/thin credit  and actually improves the odds of approval... 

Apple card could be an option later in the year.. since you can find out if your approved and decline it without the HP... 

-J

-J

Message 4 of 25
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit 

Think the Apple Card would be a decent option... yes its a bit niche,  but its an MC, and Apple is entertaining and even going for folks new to credit ... and you can get a preapproval with CL and APR and reject it...   And it has some rewards... But id still go for the Disco first... 

-J

Message 5 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Id be tempted to go for both.. but not quite at the same time....

Did your SO file taxes last year? ... Discover has been requesting tax forms somewhat frequently on new accounts,esp secured and they have to be close to whats on the form, not what they are currently making... or expect to make this year..  No HHI here.. 

Im actually a fan of Discovers secured offering but this change in policy does make me hesitate a bit, esp with the current economic climate but I think its a good card esp for new/thin credit... 

Since the SO is in school, id definitely app as a student and I think would be less likely to run into issues, such as listed above.... and less likely to offer you a secured card.... Limit might top out on the lowish side, but id let it ride for now .. Discover uses enhanced scoring on student accounts which is for people with no/thin credit  and actually improves the odds of approval... 

Apple card could be an option later in the year.. since you can find out if your approved and decline it without the HP... 

-J

-J

+1- This^^^^^^^....so glad you posted this.  If he does app for Disco he will need to match his income off of his tax return last year.  If he didn't file, I'd have him wait.  There was a post where the new applicant (18 y/o) hadn't filed, of course, they accepted his app, issued the card and then shut him down.  

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

He banks with Chase & People's United Bank 

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

His mother has claimed him every year even though he works on campus, so he has no history with filing taxes. I too think Discover is a great choice because they started me off with $500 and I now have $2300 , they asked me if I was graduating this year and upped my limit accordingly. I think he needs to act now because in 2 weeks we are coinsidered graduates! 

Message 8 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Good luck to Boyfriend, let us know the outcome.  Congrats to you both on Graduating as well!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I got rejected off the first app with Apple Card, but waited and paid off a big amount on my other cards and had a crazy CS spike and they took me, my mentee that I work with at my university.. I reccomended Apple Card to her for her first card and she was approved but she had tax returns on file and I think that's what helped her .. he has absolutely nothing on file, so frustrating. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.