Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE - 5/24 RULE

tag
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

Re: CHASE - 5/24 RULE

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh and took an 11 point hit to my EX for the App.

I hate to say it but you're lucky.  In the past Chase recon has done another HP to discuss a reconsideration! 

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Long time lurker to the forums making my first post. I felt compelled to add my personal experience as it falls into the category of the rule being broken. I've been cleaning up my credit. A few months ago my fico was around 700 (some a bit lower, some a bit higher). I had paid of a bunch of card and closed First Premier and Credit One. Util was around 19%. I got a Discover, BofA Travel Rewards and 2 Amex's (Gold and Delta) in quick sucession. I was turned down for Chase Southwest. Got a Macy's card about a month later. Paid down some more cards within the last 2 months and I've been fully paying off my new cards. My fico is about 720 with 7% util now. Last month, I was approved for Chase Amazon. I was not expecting it since I'd been turned down consistently by Chase over the years. Two weeks ago, I got a pre-approved Citi offer and got a new Citi card. I had planned to start gardening since I now have something like 10 inquiries. But, last week I decided on a whim to try for the Chase Southwest card again. Got a "we need to review your application" message. Today, fraud prevention called, verified my address and I was approved for $7000. Perhaps it helped that I am now a Chase customer, but I didn't go through any special hoops to avoid the 5/24 rule. Just one data point, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I have had a regular Chase Freedom card for a long time.  Like it is my oldest credit card on my report.  I have some stories about that experience but I will save those for another time.  I also have a Chase Checking Account.

The purpose of this post is to talk about the Chase 5/24 rule.  Sorry this might be kinda long but let me explain.

I have used creditkarma for a while also.  Earlier this year, CK started telling me I was prequalified for several cards.  They told me for months that I was pre-approved for Chase cards and Amex cards.  Well the Amex and Chase pre-qualification tools kept saying no pre-qual offers.  Wanting to be cautious I thought I would have a better shot with Chase as Amex is known for being more conservative with lending.

I went ahead and applied for the Chase Freedom Unlimited card.  I am pretty sure I only had my experian report unlocked because it looked like Chase mostly pulls experian.  I was immediately denied and immediately called the recon line.  The representative sounded sympathetic but said she could not approve my account because of too much new credit and she was not allowed to override that factor.  She would not confirm an exact 5/24 rule only that there was too much new credit on my file.

That cost me an HP on my Experian for nothing which kind of sucked.

Fast forward 6 or 7 months and I have unfrozen all my reports for a few months.  All of a sudden I start getting all sorts of prequal offers for credit on my Chase online account.

I was prequal for Sapphire, the Southwest Arilines Card, and the Freedom Unlimited.  All of the offers showed credit limits around 18k and all showed specific APR's that were the lowest offered and not a range of APR's.  After reading threads here I felt pretty confident that this was a firm prequal offer because it was on my Chase account and the APR's were firm not a range of APR's.

I still waited a month or so to accept the offer and Chase sent emails to remind me of the offers.

Last night I finally applied.  I thought of relocking my TU and EQ files since they just pulled Experian the last time, although I think my other files were locked last time.

But to my surprise, Chase pulled two HP's on both Experian and TU at the same time.  I had never heard of anyone but Capital One pulling multiple bureaus, so be careful when applying in the future.  You might want to lock one or the other, although I am not sure if that will prevent Chase from offering credit.  I am not thrilled they pulled both.

Then I got the dreaded we will let you know message.  I usually try to wait all day to see if I hear something or to give the lender a chance to do any reviews, but I heard nothing from Chase.  I ended up calling the recon line later in the day.  The representative was nice and said it looked like just a verification issue.  He transferred me to a third party verification line and within a minute, I was approved.

I am happy I was approved, but the final CL ended up only being 10.9k.  I am grateful I was approved, but I don't understand why there was such a big difference between the prequal amount and my new CL.  There is no derogatory information on any of my reports.  I called the recon line back and they said once an account is approved they can no longer recon the CL without a formal request and another HP.  I told them nevermind and will just stay with my current CL.  I do still have the lowest APR.

I do not know my TU Fico, but my Experian Fico was about a 726.  My Credit Utilization across all bureaus is 28%.  I will try to find out my TU Fico if Chase sends it with the card and will post it here.  BTW, I did have about 5 MC and Visa apps in the last 2 years, so if you are prequal on the Chase site, it appears you are good to go over by one.

I mainly wanted to post here to let you all know that and to know that Chase pulled both EX and TU so I got the Freedom Unlimited but it took 2 HP this time.

Edit, someone said I can get my TU FICO from Discover so I did.  My TU FICO is also 726.  Both my Fico's (myfico lol) were 726, although I am not sure if Chase uses the same model as Discover and EX do on their monitoring.  Thank you and good night.

Message 13 of 18
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

^^if you have a Discover or Barclay's cars, you can get a TU FICO score. 

Message 14 of 18
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was blacklisted for years with Chase because of a CO with a bank it absorbed. When I applied last year, I was at least at 6/24. Five of the HP/New Accounts were within a year. I did have a checking account with Chase but I was not the primary account holder. Did not go into a branch to apply. No email/snail mail pre-qualifications. Applied online and instantly approved. yes, two HP. From what I have read others have gotten approved with the same criteria.

Do you happen to know what your FICO was at the time you were approved? :-)

Potential Future Cards
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back in 2/2/18 EQ was definitely over 800, and the others were in the upper 700's. I had tried the year prior after being approved for Discover and AmEx, but was denied. That's when I called CSR and was told it was because I had a years old CO.

Message 16 of 18
Green456
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

It can be bypassed, but you have to be an existing client of theirs and they need to offer it to you.

Yeah I was >5/24, I hold joined accounts with my wife and got approved.  

Message 17 of 18
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was blacklisted for years with Chase because of a CO with a bank it absorbed. When I applied last year, I was at least at 6/24. Five of the HP/New Accounts were within a year. I did have a checking account with Chase but I was not the primary account holder. Did not go into a branch to apply. No email/snail mail pre-qualifications. Applied online and instantly approved. yes, two HP. From what I have read others have gotten approved with the same criteria.

I'm envious  Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.