Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne CLI/Credit Steps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne CLI/Credit Steps

Good Morning...I'm hoping to get some insight on requesting my first CLI and/or requesting a product change.

Has anyone recently received a CLI when requesting a product change from Platinum to Quicksilver with CapOne? If I could apply for a 2nd CapOne card I would, but I received the Platinum card on 3/29/17 and a CO auto loan on 4/1/17. I read CO will not allow more than 2 credit products in a 6-mo period...so some time in Sept. would be the soonest I guess. 

So, I am wondering if it's too soon to hit the luv button and/or call to request a CLI? My 3rd statement came out on 6/26/17 with CapOne Platinum. I was approved on 3/29/17 and auto-enrolled in Credit Steps after my 1st payment (will increase from $300 to $500 after the 5th mo. payment). However, I am hoping for a higher CLI than just an extra $200. I use and pay down the balance multiple times each month, never allowed the UTI to exceed 17% when statements cut. 

I read where others got a higher CL by hitting the luv button early and still got the CS CLI after statement 6. CapOne Platinum is my only "bankcard" and I am afraid of a wasted inquiry so waiting for my student loan payments to report and show PIF before applying for another card. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CapOne CLI/Credit Steps

As far as my own experience goes, I've tried a couple of times with the "luv" button and found it not so loving, getting the "you're not paying enough per month" catchall message. I'll give it another shot later this month after my next statement cuts if I don't get Credit Steps then (I think the July statement is my 5th, and I got Credit Steps on secured after my 5th statement on that), but if that doesn't pan out, oh well. Cap One usually SP's for CLI's, and they pull TU; my most recent TU is 646 and I'm waiting for it to update in the next week or so.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't tried the strategy myself, but I've read about it and will try it myself after my 3rd statement cuts. Search for Tygerhawke on the forum and how to prepare for a CLI. He lays out the strategy that worked for him and many people have had success using it. Good luck.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get a CLI before steps, or use to be extremely common. Haven't seen as much lately with Cap1 changes.
As far as PC, it shouldn't effect CLI any or coincide with it. You can PC once every 6 months, if available and it doesn't change their CLI rules. I PCd a platinum to QS1 a couple of years ago, account was one month old. Still got early CLI on it and steps increase
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.