cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one won’t talk about credit pull?

tag
Finance1230
New Visitor

Capital one won’t talk about credit pull?

Recently, after having my first capital one card for 1 year I applied for a better savor card through them. They hit me with a hard inquiry on all my bureaus. Which I had expected. They asked me for my w2, bank statements and current paystubs to prove income. I uploaded the documents. I have good credit, good income, not much debt. A perfectly paid card note and perfectly paid accounts on my history and they sent me a $500 credit line. I called them to ask for a copy of what credit information they pulled on me and what the decision was based off of. They said they could not provide me with that information and that I should talk to someone who knows about finance, maybe they could help me understand how credit applications work...  this was unsettling since I myself work in a finance career and know exactly how an application process works. But I also know, that all banks pull different scores and I know in the line of finance I work in, if someone asks me to provide what I had obtained on their credit I have to provide them with that. Am I wrong for wanting to know what they based their decision off of? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital one won’t talk about credit pull?

@Finance1230, welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, no lender is legally obligated to disclose how they arrived at a specific lending decision, with the exception of an application not being approved. With that said, if approved, they can be required to provide the "price you pay for credit" disclosure which more or less can shed some light on the scoring characteristics or reasons why an individual didn't obtain the best APR on a product, if anything. 

Since approval or denial decisions are typically automated and performed by AI and algorithms, no lender is going to disclose such proprietary information. Capital One is well-known for using such systematic decisions. However, if this had been a manual review of an application, some lenders can provide the reasoning for a decision if asked, but the majority will not since it's an automated process.

Perhaps you can share some additional information for the community on your existing accounts, their limits, Average Age of Accounts (AAoA), oldest account(s), income (not required but you can provide a ballpark figure if you wish), DTI/utilization, whether your reports have any negative items, etc. This way, we can brainstorm on some potential reasons as to why Capital One may have arrived at the $500 CL decision.

Message 2 of 3
Finance1230
New Visitor

Re: Capital one won’t talk about credit pull?

My older account is 6 1/2 years old. Average account is 3 years old. Newest is a Jared card which is a year old with a 4700$ limit and currently paid off. I have had a capital one platinum card for a litter over a year with $500 limit. A helzberg card with a 2500$ limit that is 4 years old $0 balance on it. And a 3 year old 1000$ chase card that has a balance of $200 on it right now.  I just paid off a 2 1/2 year old car note and got a second new one this week. Was approved for tier 1 credit on it, lowest interest rate available right now for 48 months at 1.9%. My utilization is always under 15% even 10% sometimes. My scores are all in the 700s. No negative accounts currently on my credit. And ball park on income would be 120-140k a year 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.