Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 5/24 Question

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: Chase 5/24 Question

@Nyrell wrote:

I'm personally not too sure about the Chase 5/24 rule.   In September of 2016 I applied for the Sapphire card and was instantly approved for a $23K limit in spite of being at 6/24.  Last week, at 9/24, applied for the Freedom Card and was approved with a $24K limit. No problem at all.

When you applied for these cards, did you have an established relationship with Chase? Whether they adhere to the 5/24 Rule sometimes depends on how much they want you as a customer.

While Chase values an established banking relationship, that often doesn't allow customers to bypass the 5/24 Rule. For example, I'm a Chase Private Client but nonetheless have been declined for CSR and other cards due to the 5/24 Rule.

However, if you have good credit and you're not a customer, sometimes Chase will make an exception and approve you to win your business. Perhaps that explains your approvals...

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ridgeback, I would talk to my private banker about getting me the card.    The first Mrs Backwoods and myself were BOA private banking clients. And the forrner Mrs. Backwoods was a Town President  for them.  There was nothing PB would not do for us. For our biz I borrowed $100K on very short term notice. When the former Mrs backwoods wanted to do so some upgrades totaling about $30K round the house she called up  PB office and they put the money inour account even before we had signed the papers. I would think Chase PB could do the same for you.   

Message 12 of 19
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ridgeback, I would talk to my private banker about getting me the card.    The first Mrs Backwoods and myself were BOA private banking clients. And the forrner Mrs. Backwoods was a Town President  for them.  There was nothing PB would not do for us. For our biz I borrowed $100K on very short term notice. When the former Mrs backwoods wanted to do so some upgrades totaling about $30K round the house she called up  PB office and they put the money inour account even before we had signed the papers. I would think Chase PB could do the same for you.   

Good idea! However, Chase Private Client (CPC) doesn't quite confer the same relationship as being part of JP Morgan's Private Bank. CPC was created to bridge the gap between retail banking (<$250,000 invested) and Chase Private Bank (>$5 million invested). 

We do have a good relationship with our CPC banker, but she isn't able to pull quite as many strings as a Private Banker would. Still, having a Chase banker on your side is helpful. CPC clients used to be exempt from the 5/24 Rule, but that's not true anymore. Private Banking clients can get the new JP Morgan Reserve card, something the rest of us including CPC clients cannot.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Good idea! However, Chase Private Client (CPC) doesn't quite confer the same relationship as being part of JP Morgan's Private Bank. CPC was created to bridge the gap between retail banking (<$250,000 invested) and Chase Private Bank (>$5 million invested). 

We do have a good relationship with our CPC banker, but she isn't able to pull quite as many strings as a Private Banker would. Still, having a Chase banker on your side is helpful. CPC clients used to be exempt from the 5/24 Rule, but that's not true anymore. Private Banking clients can get the new JP Morgan Reserve card, something the rest of us including CPC clients cannot.

To bad.   My take is if they want the business they will find a way.  I left the world of PB when the first Mrs. Backwoods went our seperate ways.  She had the tellers question my id on every transaction and had them put holds on all deposits over $500.  It became a pain. I changed  banks and darned if Bank of America did not buy them the next year so I changed again. 
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instantly approved for 16,900 w 16.99 APR with preapproval offer online!!!! Some data points:

TU: 753
Ex: 759
EQ: 755

-Combined income of 85k
-No baddies, derogs, lates.
I was at 5/24, four bank cards and one store card. Clearly the preapprovals in branch/online bypass the 5/24 rule otherwise I wouldn't have been approved for this card.

Kind of bummed they didn't match my highest limit of 19300 with Amex.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and Chase pulled EX and TU. Which is contrary to what Doctor of Credit says for my state, VA.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't even know about the 5/24 rule when I applied for the CSP. I was at 5/24 when I applied, including a Chase Slate, but I was approved for the CSP. When I applied for the CSP, Chase only pulled my TU. Plus, my credit, while good isn't incredible. My TU was 724 and EQ and EX are between 710 and 715. So YMMV.

Message 17 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Does chase understand if you're at/over 5/24 when they send you pre-approved offers? On the chase app under "Your Offers", I'm pre-approved for the CSP, FU, and slate with all of those cards having a specific APR not a range APR.

I've heard that's always a good sign of approval. My credit history is flawless. 100% on time payments, no baddies, no collections, scores between 750-760. The only thing that would keep me from getting any of these cards is the 5/24.

Many people have conflicting answers, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever been approved for a chase card with good history but over 5/24.

Not from personal experience, but from the many posts I've seen on the subject, if you receive a preapproval in the mail, online, or at the branch, you are not going to be barred by 5/24.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 18 of 19
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I was approved for the CSR and it was my 7th new card within a year.  

With the 5/24 rule, I can still apply for 2-3 cards year.  With $400 or so start bonus, it is about $800 for a year.  With spouse included, it is about $1,600 that you can safely churn.  This is still good.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.