Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon denial....should I recon?

tag
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

Chase Amazon denial....should I recon?

I recently apped for the Chasse Amazon card while checking out a purchase on Amazon (going for a $70 gift card).  I figured it would be an easy approval.....but man, was I wrong.  I filed a BK following an unexpected job loss back in 2012.  I don't recall if Chase was a creditor then, but I don't believe they were.  I've since had zero late or missed payments (and never had anything negative for twelve years prior to that). 

My scores are all in the low-to-mid 700 range and I have a Cap1 Savor with a $20k CL, a Venture with a $15k CL, a Quicksilver with a $5,500 CL, a WF Propel with a $3k CL, an Amazon store card with around $2k CL, a Synchrony Care Care card with around $2k CL, an Old Navy Card with a $2k CL, and a Belk card with a $2k CL.  Haven't had any issues getting credit for anything until that denial.  I've since read that Chase auto-denies anyone with a BK, but unfortunately, when apping through the Amazon app/site, it doesn't ask the "have you ever filed for BK" question.  Had it asked that, I'd have known then that they were not going to approve.  Because I applied via that route, I got hit with a HP for nothing.  Now, after reading a bit here, I'm wondering if I should ask for a recon since the BK is literally the only negative on my file....EVER.

Thoughts?  And does anyone have a good number for Chase recon requests?  I did read that you only gert one shot (no HUCA....hang up, call again?).  I suppose if I were to get an UW that sounds like they have a poor attitude right off the bat, I should probably just hang it up and try again before they get my information.

I appreciate any advice!     

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Amazon denial....should I recon?

Thread with all the backdoor numbers

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/374744#M5540

Chase blacklists for 10 years after BK, included or not. There have been a few people able to get it overturned near the end of  that.

Message 2 of 23
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Your credit report got a hit already, so there is nothing to hold you back from a recon. Good luck! 

Message 3 of 23
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Chase blacklists for 10 years after BK, included or not. There have been a few people able to get it overturned near the end of  that.

Ahhh....well, that's unfortunate, but good to know.  I sorta took the attitude early on after the BK that I'd reward those who were willing to do business with me and not worry about the others.  Perhaps Chase needs to be on that "not doing business with them" list.  I spend a good $2,200-2,500 a month on my primary card and pay it off each month.  Cap1 and now WF are doing pretty good with me.  I guess Chase gets to miss out. Smiley Happy  

Message 4 of 23
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

There is nothing wrong with trying, plus you still have a chance to recon that's a 50/50 chance, and if you want to wait for you BK to fall off your report to apply I assure you that the HP will be gone before you know it.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReturnOfTheCredi  I was able to get in with Chase after my BK fell off (7 years). Fortunately, I was able to bypass the 5/24 rule as well with a pre-qualified offer. 

While I typically advocate reconning (depending on bank) since the hardpull has hit, I don't think it will be fruitful bc of the BK reporting. Chase will flat out deny if one is on your reports. Data also includes all recons will be denied. 

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/374744#M5540

This is only pertains to Ch7 bc it's on the cr for 10 years. It does not apply to Ch13. 

Message 7 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is only pertains to Ch7 bc it's on the cr for 10 years. It does not apply to Ch13. 

Unless you apply for credit while it's still on your reports. Chase will keep the application in system for 6 months, but keeps a database that tracks the info for years. I know, because I helped build it. Anything, and everything is kept in it. Online applications. Any paperwork attached on an account that they had was digitized and uploaded. Past history with any entity that they purchased and folded into their portfolio.  Everything. That being said, this was years ago and I can't say with certainty that they still track that info, or for what period of time. Last I talked to my ex-coworkers (2018),  it was still in place and being used, but I don't know the specifics.

Message 8 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TekkenQQ7 wrote:

Your credit report got a hit already, so there is nothing to hold you back from a recon. Good luck! 

Ummm yeah. There's a possibility of another HP. (I think)

OP, what does your individual and aggregate UT look like? How many inqs and new accts in last 3/6/12/24 months?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 23
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@TekkenQQ7 wrote:

Ummm yeah. There's a possibility of another HP. (I think)

OP, what does your individual and aggregate UT look like? How many inqs and new accts in last 3/6/12/24 months?

UT = utilization, yes?  I'm typically between 2-3%.  It varies depending on if it's the end of the month or the beginning of one, but doesn't go far beyond that.  I do have more right this second as we bought a new house back in November and have had to spend on a few upgrades we've made, but even right now, utilization is at about 16%.

Inquiries, that's a whole other story. Given the mortgage process and right at three new cards over 24 months, I'd likely fail the 5/24 or be really close to it.

EDIT: I just checked and I'm at 9% utilization right now.  I'll be paying that back down to 3% or less in the next month.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.