Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase app or not

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase app or not

How may Chase view the following:

BK 2009 no longer reporting:   Was Chase IIB?   Kinda....

They bought out Washington Mutual, I had a WAMU Card that was IIB.   Less then 2K

The acquired my debt just before I filed or right after I filed, but Chase appeared as the owner of the WAMU acct.

Similiar to my HomeDepot (Citi) Card that was IIB  --  I have read how Citi views retail different then core cards, but I have not seen anything on Chase

Thats why I am on the fence with apping CITI or Chase...   They did not love me long time like Amex.  Amex got nicked in the BK, but we made a ton together before....   thats why I think Amex will let me back in.

And it has been over 10 years...   what does the jury of my peers think?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase app or not

@Anonymous wrote:

How may Chase view the following:

BK 2009 no longer reporting:   Was Chase IIB?   Kinda....

They bought out Washington Mutual, I had a WAMU Card that was IIB.   Less then 2K

The acquired my debt just before I filed or right after I filed, but Chase appeared as the owner of the WAMU acct.

Similiar to my HomeDepot (Citi) Card that was IIB  --  I have read how Citi views retail different then core cards, but I have not seen anything on Chase

Thats why I am on the fence with apping CITI or Chase...   They did not love me long time like Amex.  Amex got nicked in the BK, but we made a ton together before....   thats why I think Amex will let me back in.

And it has been over 10 years...   what does the jury of my peers think?

With Chase, you have to apply to find out.  To say that they have long memory would be an understatement. What they do with it is whole another thing.  

They retain records from every other bank they've acquired, so even if it's not on your CR, their internal record will still reflect card included in BK

Good luck with the app if that's what you decide to do 

Message 2 of 8
ironchef
Regular Contributor

Simply Not!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chaee = go to a branch and see if the bankers pull up anything pre-approved 

Citi = if you're in a market where they have a branch you can try the same approach.  Since it was a co-brand though it might not keep you from their core cards listed on their webpage.

***in the past I had a WAMU product as well but, didn't IIB but, it never moved the barometer for CL the whole time they had it.... eventually it got closed after several PC's over the years.  Now, I'm sitting at about 70K in CL's with them.  

Message 4 of 8
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

I had a situation very similar to yours. Had a WaMu card that was acquired by Chase and IIB for a few thousand $$.

I now have 3 cards with them. Got the first one after recon. At the time I got it, my BK was still on my reports and that was the reason for denial.

Chase took a chance on me and I now have 3 cards.

Message 5 of 8
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Based on no data at all, merely my own opinion, I'd say you have decent chances. Maybe 60/40? 80/20? As mentioned above, Chase does have a LONG memory, but that doesn't mean they won't ever let you in again.

What Chase card are you applying for? Did you check out their pre-qualification site? Do you have any positive history with them, like Checking/Savings accounts or car loans? If they pre-qual'd you for something like a Freedom/FU or CSP, I'd say you have decent odds of being approved. Be aware that if they pre-qual you for more than 1 card, pick one (and ONLY one) to apply for. Don't apply for them all, just ONE. I made the mistake of applying for 2 in the same day, and almost got burned on both as a result. Fortunately they approved both, but most people get both accounts denied/closed when they try that.

Also keep in mind the 5/24 rule. Don't apply (even if pre-qual'd) if you've had 5 or more new credit card accounts in the last 2 years. Some say that a "green check mark" or an in-branch pre-approval will negate the 5/24 rule, but in your case with the BK discharge, I'd tread lightly.

My opinion is go for it - worst case scenario is you get declined and take a 0-5 point hit on 2 of your reports for the next 12 months, not a big deal really.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No relationship with Chase other then WAMU

DATA:

Jan 2019  - FICO8 640   - 85% Util (24K of 28K) DTI:  ~

Jun 2019  - FICO8 740+ - 16% Util (  9K of 58K) DTI: 16%  3 CC < 49% + 1 Store Card < 22%  -  6 CC's= 0 Bal  - 2 Installs - 1student/1Prosper

Lates: NONE  -   NO BK Reporting

AAoA 5 yrs

Old - 15yrs

2 TU   -  0EX   -   0EQ

2 TU Inq were:  Prosper opened April / NFCU CC opened May 2nd

2/6  -  0/12  - 0/24 

FNBO           0/5250

Discover      0/3900

Cabelas       0/1500  (willl not go above 1500 w/BK showing, HP CLI)   eligible now for CLI

PPMC          0/1900  (never an CLI - converted SmartConnect Line --> PPMC 321Rewards)

QS1              0/2750

Mercury       3300/6600   (Former Barclay Rewards)

Merrick        1750/3600

Amz (Sync) 1000/4500

Venture1      1450/3000

NFCU            0/25000

Closing after TBD is open

Waiting for 91/3 NFCU Plat app date:  Aug 3

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a CITI and a Chase in town...

Great idea.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.